Your worst nightmare just got worse(4)

• Dedicated to Kyle Thomas Germann

"What's wrong with Evangeline!"  I heard Lillian's shouts as they got louder and louder until my ears were practically ringing.  My senses started to come back to me.  I could feel small movements as Colton walked holding me in his arms like a baby.  I could smell a faint smell of smoke, an old campfire, unless that was Colton because he always had that smell on him.  My tongue was dry.  I could open my eyes, but before I would I started thinking.  I couldn't even stand up to the smoke monster and we're supposed to go on this big journey to save the world.  Colton took it down easily, as if it were a piece of cake.. I tried and almost got killed.  What if their was bigger and badder things out there?  What if I lost Colton? 

"She's breathing weird!"  Lillian shouted and I felt her hands prodding all over me.  "That's weird.. I can't heal her."  I opened my eyes to see Lillian's face hovering right over mine.  She shrieked as she jumped backwards scared.

"I'm fine no worries."  I wanted to stay in Colton's arms forever, after the thought of losing him. Just to  feel his warmth radiating off of him.  I could smell the sweat on his body and see it dripping off his face.  His shirt was laying on my stomach and I admired his chest.  I noticed everybody staring at me as I stared at Colton.  I squirmed in Colton's arms like an uncomfortable baby until Colton let me down on the ground.  I was sad that he had to let me go, but we had other stuff to do.  I looked at Colton again and my heart throbbed.  I grabbed my chest.  Something was there between Colton and I.  "I have a lot to explain to you guys.  It has to do with the past and this is the real story."  We started walking and eating some meat as I explained where the elder people came from, how we weren't always from Latella.

"None of this information was in the books."  Lillian muttered as we made camp.  She ran her fingers through her hair nervously.  She had learned all about Latella, all her life.  Studied when I had been gone.  She had even stolen books just to keep up with what she was meant to learn, but yet none of it included the stuff about Heaven.  She had never known about it because the parents never mentioned any of it to her either.  It was like all those years of her life learning about Latella, from the complete basics to the most complicated of things was useless, a complete lie. 

"I'm sure things were meant to be.  Our parents came here to make things right and to protect us.  What other reason would they have to come here?"  I asked as I touched her shoulder gently letting her know that things would be okay.  She smiled at me thankful.  Here was me always looking at for Lillian.  Things were somehwat back to normal and I was happy for that.  Me looking out for her made me feel like I was really home.

"We don't have any food."  Hanley said looking through the bags.  I looked down at my stomach thinking as it grumbled.  I did notice before that we were rationing everything and the loss of food was probably why.  You couldn't live on food in a bag forever.

"I'll go hunt then."  A bow with an arrow already in place appeared in his hands.  I didn't question him, but instead just let him go on his own.  I've only been here for a day and I'm starting to understand these things and people better.  So far I have.. serious feelings for Colton who likes to be left alone and not touched, those two didn't go together at all.  Hanley was strange, the real book on Latella, and disapeared a lot.  Lillian was as always, kind, gentle, and scared, but where did I take place in all of this?  I was the princess, the one to save everybody, but I still don't understand how.  We're supposed to go to a place that only 'the book' knows about, and by the book I mean Hanley.  That's supposedly supposed to solve everything, where I can find my other half that I've never known about.  Whatever my other half is.  I have undiscovered powers that I do without even thinking, and I don't even know what they are.  What I'm capable of.  I am lost with myself, with Latella.  Luckily, these people I know.  Somewhat.

"You were able to look into his past."  Lillain said looking up at me bringing my thoughts back once again.  "Without even training.  This has never been heard of."  She looked completely confused, her face all twisted up.  I looked around at the dry wasteland we were in.  Now at night the air was much cooler, but I wondered how Colton would be able to catch anything out here.  It was like the desert and I don't remember anything really edible being out in the deserts on earth.  They normally hid eitherway and weren't easy to kill.

"It just came to me, but afterwards I just felt like I wasn't all there.  It felt like there was another piece of me that should've been there."  I looked down at my hands feeling empty.  A part of the key was missing.  My other half.  This was something I really didn't want to think about.  It was all getting to confusing when I think about it to much. 

"We all struggle with things."  Hanley said from the darkness.  I looked around, allowing my eyes to slowly observe the area.  Hanley wasn't there. 

 "Over here."  Hanley said waving his hand.  There was no way that he had been there before.  I had stared at that spot just moments before.    I arched my eyebrows confused.  Hanley was hiding something.  Something that had to do with him dissapearing randomly.

I looked over at Lillian and she nodded as if saying 'I know what your thinking.' 

What Hanley had said though, summed up what I was thinking.  I was struggling to live here.  I couldn't fight for myself, I have no idea what I'm doing, and Colton is just a whole big struggle himself.  He's so closed off, but yet that makes me want him even more.  The way he's alway quiet, never ready to share information.  It just makes me want to pry into him and know everything about him.  Reading his mind again might help, but I'm not going there again, but yet in his mind, he had been watching me carefully all the time.  Why?  Did he miss me?  To protect me?  How much do I really mean to Colton? 

"How does snake meat sound?"  Colton asked coming out from the darkness not lit up by the fire.  I blushed a little feeling guilty about how I was thinking of Colton.  I turned away from the fire so that he couldn't see my face.

"There are normal animals here?"  I questioned after regaining my posure and looking over at Colton. As he walked in I could see his muscles bulging from stress from carrying something big.    He was dragging a snake the size of a bus by a bunch of ropes that he had in his arms.   The snake had to have a head the size of a California king size bed.  I stared at it with complete shock in my face, not knowing what to think of it.

"These are normal for Latella."  Lillian said admiring the snake.  I was suprised she wasn't running away screaming even though the thing was clearly dead.  I clenched my fists to keep me from doing just that.  Not even from my memories do I remember any beasts around here, especially none this big.  There are little things about her that have changed I'm guessing.  She still worries and is easily hurt, but yet she isn't as scared as she used to be.   She wasn't scared of this thing, but I was.  My best guess is that she's seen them before in all the time that she has been living out in the middle of nowhere.  That can really change people.  Make them grow up, become somebody they weren't before.  I'm happy though that she hasn't changed completely, like Colton.  I don't know what I'd do if I had to live with another Colton.  Hanley and Colton were enough of a concern already.

"He's a small one."  Colton said.  I almost choked on my spit.

"Small?"  I asked barely breathing. How could that be small?  It made the snakes from Earth look like a ant compared to a human.  A normal snake here would have to be an ant compared to an elephant.  Was this thing just really old or were they all born that huge?

"Tiny."  Colton said climbing ontop of the beast before a long sword appeared in his hands as he jumped up into the air and slicing it's head completely off.  The head didn't move at all, but there was blood squirting out of it's neck everywhere like a hose with a hole in it.  A BIG hole.  I swallowed my spit.  I doubt I'll live here for very long.

We ate in silence as I thought about the creatures that lived here.  First there was the smoke monster that took away my wings and now a huge snake that was considered to be small.  It could swallow a cow easily and that would only be it's appetizer.  I looked over at Colton wondering how he had done it.  The snake could have him in a second, but yet there was two arrows sticking out of it's eyes and a sword pierced through it's mouth.It was like putting a bee stinger in both of a humans eyes and a toothpick through their mouth.  I shivered chills running through my body.  I wasn't sure if Latella really was all that good of a place to live.