Losses(2)

• Dedicated to Kyle Thomas Germann

I inhaled trying to slow down my heartbeat.  No matter what came my way I had to be strong.  Strong for the people that I had left for such a long time.

"Let's go then."  I noticed the light flickering ever so slightly out of the corner of my eye and that gave me the push I needed.

"I brought some clothes."  Lillian said pulling a bag out from behind a tree.  I looked down at my white dress realizing it was completely see through by being dampened by the water.  I quickly hurried behind a tree remembering the boys were there. 

"Here Evangeline."  Clothes flew from the side of the tree and I quickly changed into brown jeggings,a brown wifebeater, and brown high boots.  I would have to stay in these for three days.  I had a feeling that they would be getting dirty unlike in Heaven.  I shrugged my shoulders as I stepped out from where I was hiding behind the tree.

"We'll blend in better this way.  We'll travel at day.  Monsters tend to stay inside during the day time."  Hanley said picking up a bag. 

"Here, you'll need this."  Colton said handing me what looked like a belt with pouches and a sheath with a sword in it.  I pulled it on and noticed it was a little big on me, crooked on my hips.  I remembered Latella stuck to the olden days in many ways.  We started walking. 

"You know how hard it was to steal that?"  Lillian asked her voice rising.  I rose my eyebrows.

"You stole that?"  I looked down at the sword.  Lillian did not seem like the type to steal.  Especially a sword that looked this valuable.  Lillian couldn't even hurt a fly, that's why she's a healer.

"Not me!"  I breathed a sigh of relief.  "Colton is the bad guy in this picture."  I looked at Colton, him with his serious face.  Now Colton I could definately see him doing that. I could see Colton doing a lot of dangerous things.   He had this mysterious feel to him like he knew a lot more than you think.  I smiled thinking about Colton with his shirt off.  In Heaven I never let those thoughts even venture to my mind considering I was a complete outcast.  Any chance even meeting a guy was thinner than  a strand of hair.  That's why I got so good at sneaking around because I had nothing better to do. 

"Eight years ago."  Colton said interrupting my thoughts.  He nodded as if just thinking about it now.  "I stole it, went through a portal Hanley made, faked my death, went to heaven, and saved you."  He made it sound so easy.  "Luckily the big man in Heaven didn't notice that I aged too."  He said with a chuckle.  "I don't know how that slipped past him."

  "It all wasn't as easy as it sounds though.  The whole time he took training lessons and still studied his books."  Books.. I kept forgetting it was more like Earth here.  I looked over at Colton.  If he was at all stressed he sure didn't show it.  I noticed his muscles and my mind went back to thinking of him shirtless.  It was an easy thing to do with him.

"So much has happened because of me."  I muttered twirling my hair around my finger, a bad habit of mine, a way that I show my stress.  I didn't have my memory when I was in Latella for more than half my life, but they had their memories.  Of me, of everything.  They had to go through it all, trying to save me.  That whole time I was in Heaven, just thinking that everything was okay. 

"None of us has ever gone back since you left.  Sneaking around was the only way we got things.  Even Colton's instructor was sworn to secrecy."  Lillian said running her fingers along trees as she walked.  Each tree seemed to glow with energy when she touched them.

"That must be so hard not being able to see your family for such a long time."  Now that I remember my own family, the queen and king of Latella I missed them also.  I remembered how my dad set me on his lap and read stories to me.  My mom and I would always make baked goods together.  I missed them.