Chapter 12

Part twelve.

  Cheryl stirred, head aching from having cried so much. Her eyes, still sore, opened slowly as she craned her neck to look up at Kimberley, who had her eyes closed, still sleeping. Smiling for the briefest of seconds she settled her head back down into her chest, pulling the older girl's arm tighter around her. Cheryl had no idea how long she had been asleep for, but she knew that Kim had never left her side. They were still locked in the same position, Kim's arms protectively wrapped around her and, for that, Cheryl was grateful. Just as she closed her eyes again she heard her voice.

  "I love you." Kim whispered gently, stroking her back with her fingertips.

  "I thought you were sleeping?" Cheryl replied, looking up again.

  Kimberley smiled sadly. "I can't sleep. I just wanted to make sure you're ok."

 "I'm fine." Cheryl smiled, but the smile didn't quite reach her eyes. Cheryl knew that she wasn't fooling anyone, least of all herself. She sighed, picking up Kim's hand and kissing her palm. "At least I will be anyway. I'm so tired baby, please go to sleep with me. I won't settle if I know you're worrying. Please?" she asked again, the sadness in her face shattering Kim's heart further than she thought possible.

  She faked a small smile and relented. "Ok sweetheart." Kissing her forehead she settled her head back and closed her eyes, holding Cheryl tight. Seemingly placated Cheryl snuggled back into Kim's chest. Kim laid for a while, listening to Cheryl breathing. It didn't take long before her breaths became deeper and she felt her body relax into hers. Opening her eyes to stare at the ceiling she sighed deeply. She raised her hand to brush her hair from her face, rubbing her temple as she did.

  "Sleep Kimba..." Cheryl mumbled, clearly exhausted.

  "Sorry baby." she replied, fidgeting in the bed to get comfortable. Feeling her move beneath her Cheryl removed her weight from the older girl. She rolled over in the bed, pulling Kim's arm to encourage her to cuddle up behind her, tucking her hand inside her dressing gown against the warm skin of her stomach. Finally begininng to relax Kim buried her face into Cheryl's hair, breathing in her scent as sleep overwhelmed her.

  *********************

  When Kimberley finally awoke she wondered how long she had been asleep for. Light flooded the room from the undrawn curtains. Looking across the bed at the empty space next to her Kim froze.

  "Cheryl...?" she called, panic filling her throat as she struggled to get the word out. Thoughts of the previous night invaded her mind. Had she left again? she worried.

  "Cheryl..?!" she called again, louder now.

  "I'm here Kimba." Cheryl responded from the landing, entering the bedroom with 2 mugs of tea. Looking at Kimberley's worried expression she swallowed the lump that had instantly appeared in her throat. Putting the tea down she sat herself on the edge of the bed, looking at her girlfriend, a frown etched across her forehead.

  "Hey..." she soothed, rubbing Kim's arm lovingly. Looking deep into her eyes she read her thoughts, her scared face revealing everything.

  "I won't leave you again." she promised, yeys staring into Kimberley's, begging to be believed. "Ever." Climbing into the bed beside her Cheryl wove her arms around her middle, laying her head on the pillow next to Kim's. "What can I do to make you believe that?"

  "I want to believe you Cheryl, I really do." Kim began sadly. "But last night...I've never seen you so upset. It broke my heart." Kim squeezed Cheryl close to her. Stroking her cheek with her thumd Kim stared into her eyes. "I never want to see you like that again."

  Cheryl blushed, colour rising to her cheek as she remembered how Kim had taken care of her the evening before. Wriggling free from her arms to turn on her stomach Cheryl propped herself up on her elbows and gently kissed Kimberley's soft lips.

  "I'm so sorry..." she started, only to be cut off by Kim shaking her head and placing a finger on her lips.

  "Babes don't apologise. You were so upset. The whole time I was just watching you thinking, I've caused this. It's all my fault Cheryl. If we wern't together all of this upset would never have happened."

  "No." Cheryl stated forcefully. "I'm so sorry I made you feel as though I didn't want you. If I didn't have you I would be a hell of a lot more upset believe me!"

  Kim exhaled, shaking her head and looking at the ceiling, eyes brimming with tears. Holding her face gently Cheryl turned her head, forcing Kim to look at her.

  "Believe me." she said again, gentler this time. Pushing up with her arms Cheryl pulled her legs up to kneel at her side. Resting her arms either side of her head she bent forwards, their faces almost touching. Opening her lips slightly she brushed them against kim's mouth, feeling her breath against her own. She kissed her slowly, eyes never leaving Kim's for a second. Pulling away she gently rubbed their noses together.

  "I'm here...with you...and that's the only place I want to be."