Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Ahh, Memories! (Feel free to interpret the Ahh as a scream or a sigh...)

Allison slept for most of that day. When she woke up she felt a little drowsy and still drained.. She slowly eased herself out of bed with a grumbling stomach. After eating a 'nutritious' breakfast of Froot Loops and chocolate chip pancakes, she decided to catch up on some homework Jennifer had dropped off.

After a few hours of Biology, Psycology, Physics, and other annoying subjects, Allison couldn't take it anymore. She heated up some chicken soup and went back to bed. 

She was dreaming as soon as her head hit the pillow...

She was walking in a field of flowers. White daisies, they looked like. The kind she was usually allergic to... but that didn't matter then. She could see herself, yet she was still in her own body. She had flowers in her hair and a white dress that clung to her curves .

Suddenly, Connor walked out of the forest surrounding the field, wearing white as well. He smiled when he saw her and she rushed into his arms. But as soon as she touched him, dark clouds formed overhead. Rain fell in large, painful droplets. Connor frowned and she squinted up to the sky. When she looked back down, Connor was running... back to the forest... without her.

When she called out to him, he didn't respond. She called again and he turned to face her, a frightened and scared look on his face. When she took a step toward him, he screamed in terror, and ran back to the forest. Allison began to cry and fell to the ground, drowning from the falling water. She called out for Connor, but he never came, and her vision slowly clouded into darkness...

Allison sat up, sweating. The room was dark again, and she held a shaking hand to her clammy face. She took a deep breath and tried to stop the shuddering. She closed her eyes, and tried to forget the dream. She'd never felt so alone as she slowly drowned in the rain, knowing Connor wasn't coming back for her. 

A sudden noise coming from the kitchen made Allison jump. She looked around and grabbed a bat Connor kept under the bed to make her feel safer at night. She slowly walked out to the bright kitchen and held the bat threateningly in front of her.

"Woah, slow down there, you could poke an eye out!"

Allison jumped at Connor's voice behind her. He was wearing an apron and holding a bowl of salad. "What are you doing here?"

Connor gave her a quizzical look. "Well, I live here, for one thing. Also, it's almost nine o'clock. Don't tell me you slept all day!"

"No!" Allison blushed. "Okay, well, I did sleep for a while, but I did some homework, honest! It's in the dining room if you want to check."

"Not anymore it's not."

Allison shot him a look and walked to the dining room to check if he was lying. Instead of a messy table full of college textbooks, she found a beautiful spread of home-cooked food with candles surrounding it.

She turned and nearly walked into Connor. He put his arms around her waist and looked down at her. "Well? How'd I do?"

She leaned up and gave him a peck on the cheek. "It's beautiful. What's the occasion? I don't think it's our anniversary... is it my birthday?"

Connor smiled. "Who says there has to be a reason? Why can't I just cook my wonderful wife dinner and shower her with romantic gifts after she's had an unusually long week?"

"I so don't deserve you." 

Connor smiled. "No, I don't deserve you." Now he leaned down and gave her a long, gentle kiss on the lips. Allison put her arms around his neck and ran her fingers through his long, curly hair. She pulled him closer and leaned into him. He felt him smile so she pulled her head back. "What?" she asked, annoyed.