Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Sure, Make Me Feel Guilty

Allison tried to go back to work like normal, but she couldn't stop thinking about the fact that she was pregnant. After all, who could forget that so easily? She knew Connor was at his morning classes, safely in his classroom and free to think about their child all he wanted, while Allison was stuck at work, trying to focus on what was happening to her but not finding the time to.

At her lunch break, Allison wanted to eat in the quiet back room alone, but of course Cathie was already there, sitting across from Doctor Barret. When he saw her, he stood up quickly and nodded before walking silently out of the room. Alllison gave him a weird look but let him leave. She sat down in his place and said a quiet hello to Cathie.

Cathie looked up from her lunch and smiled. "How are you feeling?"

Allison gave an empty laugh. "Cathie, I'm pregnant, not dying. I'm fine."

Cathie nodded. "How did Connor take it?"

"Fine."

Cathie nodded again, then bit her lip as if stopping herself from saying more. She took a bite of her sandwich and then decided to say it. "And did you tell your mother?"

Allison considered this. She could tell her the truth and say no, she didn't tell her mother because she didn't want her to be right and shove it in her face like she did with the marriage. Or she could lie and say yes to get Cathie off her back. "I'm telling her tonight," Allison said after a pause. It wasn't exactly a lie, she was going to her mother's house for dinner tonight, but she wasn't planning on telling her anything.

Cathie smiled a wide white-toothed smile and patted Allison's arm from across the table. "I'm proud of you. It's the right thing to do."

Allison stood up and left after an awkward lunch. Cathie had tried to make conversation, talking about the last animal that had come in, a parakeet with throat problems that turned out to be fear of making noise because of the house cat. Allison didn't hear that they had agreed to adopt the cat so they wouldn't have to take it to the shelter and put it down. As Allison slowly meandered back to her desk, the cat, named Carlton, wove in and out of her legs, tripping her. She reached down and absentmindedly petted him and then picked him up and took him to Exam Room C to watch Doctor Barret and the parakeet.

She went back to her desk and decided to chance going on the internet. Strictly speaking, she wasn't technically allowed during her shift, but that's okay. She pulled up her email and sighed. There was no way around it now... it was best just to get it over with and do it quickly, like ripping off a band-aid. Like that hasn't been used enough in movies, right?

She checked her email quickly, seeing a couple from Nikki and Sarah, one from Mark, and five from Connor during his morning classes. She ignored them and started typing a message quickly.

Mom-

I talked to Connor... I guess we can come over for dinner tonight. Is seven okay? I have work until five and Connor has some classes until six. Are you making pot roast? And could you make sure that your dog-thing is outside where he can't attack me like last time? Thanks. Oh, and I have something to tell you... just keep an open mind and remember that I'm an adult and I make my own decisions, okay? See you soon.

Love,

Allison

Allison hit send so quickly that she didn't even have time to regret it. When she checked her sent folder and reread it, she instantly regretted that she sent it. She played some online Tetris for a while and when she lost decided to check her email again. Shockingly, her mom had already replied. And of course, Allison didn't miss that she had also forwarded both messages to Connor. Great.

Dear Allison:

Seven is fine. Yes I am making pot roast. The dog will be inside, it's going to rain tonight. You will find that you are able to deal with it if you try. Oh, and Connor-- I invited your parents as well and they said they would love to join us. They're bringing their cat, Pumpkin, as well.  Anyway, what's this about you being your own adult? Last time I checked you couldn't even get your own boyfriend without our help. But I will try to remember that. Have a good day.

-Mom

Allison rolled her eyes and didn't bother to reply. She did, of course, feel the need to send a message to Connor, knowing that if he found out that they were going to dinner with their parents tonight he should probably hear it from her.

Connor-

Hey! I hope you're having fun in...  physics?? or maybe it's biology? idk, but why do you have to take either of those classes to become a lawyer? Oh well... anyway, obviously you've read Mom's message. Sorry, I was going to call you but I didn't want you to get in trouble or anything. And i was afraid you'd get mad:( anyway, cathie convinced me to tell mom (and your mom, apparently) about... our little secret. What do you think?

<3

Allie

p.s. TEXXT ME PLEASE! i am really bored.

Allison sighed and hit sent. When she heard Doctor Barrett coming down the hallway, she quickly ex'd out of the tetris and email and pretended to be typing something imaginary on her desk top. For the rest of the day she worked pretty hard, and didn't find the time to check her email again. At five she quickly finished her work and rushed home to get ready. 

Ugh, she was really dreading this night.