thirteen

●Chapter 13: Joy-Anna

     After the seventh night of using Angel Dust, I felt like my life was on repeat: sprinkle, sleep, no nightmares, wake-up. So when the eighth night came by, I expected the same routine. Except, it was different than the other nights, way different. 

     I was getting ready for bed, like usual, and I started sprinkling the powder on my pillow when a sudden knock came from outside my bedroom door. The loud knock caused me to accidentally spill at least a tablespoon all over my pillow. 

     "Joy-Anna?" Tori called, and then—without my permission—entered my room. She stood there with a smug look on her face. Her maroon hair was pulled back into a tight pony tail, and I could see all her aged features—which wasn't many, but I never noticed them before. "What are you still doing up?"

      "I was getting a glass of water." I lied, but that was okay, because she always lied to me. 

     "Okay, well, goodnight." She was about to turn around, but my vial of Angel Dust caught her eye. She shrieked and tumbled backwards, grasping the door handle for support. "What is that?"

     "It's...talcum powder?" Another lie. 

     Something glimmered in her eye, it was like she knew it wasn't talcum powder, it was like she knew exactly what it was. "Please, dispose of it. You know I am allergic to that stuff." With that, she left and slammed the door behind her hard enough for me to jump. 

     I clutched the Angel Dust in my hand, and looked between it and the trash can, and decided against throwing it away. I quickly set it inside my drawer, and went to sleep—forgetting to wipe off the remains of the dust. 

     My dreams started, but I wasn't the starring role of my dream. I was trapped inside someones body, and I was knelt in front of a large, white marble podium. 

     "I want you to tell me in every single detail of what you did." A man twice my size commanded me. I tried to respond, but my host wouldn't let me. 

     "Michael, I swear, I didn't mean it!" My host protested and tried defending itself. I felt sorry for my host, they did seem quite sincere from whatever had happened. 

     "Inexcusable! Tell us exactly what happened." The man, Michael, commanded loudly. My host's head turned to the right. There was a row of ten people mumbling amongst each other. My host turned its head back to Michael, and he wasn't looking very friendly. 

     "I went against the Angel Rule Book," my host paused for a second, as if gathering its wits. "For I have sinned." The crowd went silent, and their heads snapped towards my host. I felt this sudden urge to protect the host, and to tell these people off. I knew I couldn't, though.

     "For what sin have you sinned?" Michael asked, as he started flipping through a large book that I assumed was the Angel Rule Book. 

    "I killed Messenger Angel Lacy." My host blurted, and suddenly, the doors burst open and the room was filled with guard-like people with wings attached to their backs. I gawked, and my host seemed to have built up its fear level, because it tried to run. Before it ran a foot, three guards came and pinned it down to the floor.

    "Let me go!" My host screamed loudly, while kicking and flailing its arms around. I noticed just then that my host's body had wings attached to it too. They were white, huge wings with beautiful layers. 

    "Tori," wait, this body was Tori's? "I hereby announce that you are now officially stripped of your wings, your title, and you now are a Fallen Angel."