ten

●Chapter Ten: Lucien

     She was beautiful. Joy-Anna. Soft, chestnut hair that cascaded down her back in slight waves. When I met her at her bake sale I didn't think the connection would be so intense. I knew the guardian-mortal connection would be strong, but I never imagined I would almost be brought to my knees from such an intense pain to protect a fragile Earth girl. I guess she wasn't really human, she was a dormant morpher.

     My mind was clouded with thoughts of her since then. Never once on any of my missions did I feel this connection, and it scared me. 

    Her eyes were a hypnotizing gold. It suited her, she seemed she could be fierce when she wanted to be. 

     When I cradled her in my arms, she felt delicate. Like a freshly bloomed flower. It was a satisfying feeling to know that I saved her. 

      I shouldn't of lied to her. She was right, something did happen. There was a storm, the windows did shatter, and the door was locked. I couldn't scare her though. Gabriel was a cruel man to do this to someone he told me he loved. Ha, he doesn't know a thing of love. 

      But neither did I. 

   I stood in my new rental house just pacing around the kitchen. I wasn't exactly satisfied with having to stay here for a while. Not only did it have an odd smell of piss, but the floorboards were barley intact. 

     The phone suddenly rang. 

     Who would know my number? I thought to myself, and quickly answer it. 

     "Lucien," was all the person said, but I knew exactly who it was. 

     "Gabriel, what do you want?"

     "Meet me at Roveli Park in ten minutes," Gabe responded. With that, the phone suddenly was cut. 

                                     ᴥ ᴥ ᴥ 

     Roveli Park wasn't beautiful like I thought it would be. I imagined birds chirping, brightly coloured leaves, couples conversing on marble benches, and a swing set for the little ones. The reality of it was that the park had weeds coming out of the cracks of the sidewalk, the only animal here was a skunk, the leaves were a drooping maroon, and the tattered wood benches had graffiti all over them. Earth wasn't as beautiful as it once was, I suppose. 

    I walked over to a rock with brown moss covering it and sat down on it. As disgusting as it sounded, it was the only relatively clean place in this dump. 

   "Lucien, you came." Gabriel stepped out behind a bundle of trees with a sickening smile plastered on his face. 

      "Hey," I said. 

    "How is my precious Joy-Anna? I hope you have been keeping that animal on a leesh." He inquired, and sat across from me on a piece of drift wood. 

       "She's fine. Now what is it you wanted me here for?" I asked, and impatiently tapped my foot.

     "Someone has become cocky, remember when you once feared me? You reek of confidence now."

       It was October 20th, 1816, I was just appointed to Messenger Angel, and life was good. The war was over, and our community was prospering. It seemed like everything was great, there was no violence, just peace. I had just started dating Uriel, and she was golden. 

     I walked into the Red Room one day, and saw we had an unfamiliar visitor. He turned around and smiled at me, while Virtue Lily just frowned. 

       "Hello, I am Demi-Demon Gabriel," he said in a sweet, yet sour, tone. 

      "Messenger Angel Lucien," I replied. What in Earth's sake was a demi-demon doing here? Was she on Angel Dust? 

     "Messenger Angel Lucien, Demi-Demon Gabriel will be staying with us for a while. I know you are probably worried about this, but don't worry. His Lord expelled him, and he needs us. He will be staying with you," Virtue Lily quietly said. 

    As years went on, Gabriel and I became good friends. Brothers, in fact. We told each other everything, hung out everyday, and started an irreversible bond. He told me that the other half of his demi-demon was a demi-angel. He was cursed as an infant by a young gypsy settling on his grandfather's homestead. The Underworld accepted him, because they thought the bad outweighed the evil, and it did for a while, but he was more gentle. 

   After fifty years of living with one another, Gabriel turned cruel. He was violent to the housekeepers, and he would be consumed with terrors of the mind. Healer Victur would consult with him, but there was no point. He started stealing stuff from my room, important stuff.

     I came home early to see him fingering my newly found pendant necklace. It was silver with black and white sparkles in it. 

      "What are you doing with that?" I asked and tried to snatch it from his hand. He was holding it in a death grip. 

      "It's pretty, who is it for?"

      "I found it a few days ago, and I wanted to give it to Uriel," I replied.

     "Oh, so you didn't tell me? I thought we told each other everything?" He asked with a seemingly hurt expression. Guilt washed through me, and I let go of the necklace. 

      "May I keep it for a while?" He asked, and I just stood there biting my cheek. "Please, Lucien?"

      "I guess, but only for a while..."

      He nodded, smiled, and slipped it in his pocket.

    Gabriel was happy for a while after that. Until I walked into the Head Quarters, and saw him pinning a new messenger angel to the wall. 

      I couldn't believe what was happening, he was killing a poor innocent girl in his vice grip. I ran over and ripped him off of her. 

       "I'll kill both of you!" He screamed and ripped her from my gasp and threw her against a mirror. 

       "Gabriel, stop!" I yelled, and suddenly I was skidding against the marble floor. 

       "If you let me keep the pendant forever, I will let you two go." He proposed.

       "Fine, fine! Keep it!" I told him. 

     With that, I never saw the pendant or him again for a very long time. It was still in his possession, unfortunately. 

        "Did you have a nice trip down memory lane?" He asked, with a harsh laugh.

        I ignored him. "So what do you want?"

       "I will have her, Lucien."

      "Like hell," I replied. "She isn't yours, she needs that damn necklace. You are such a damn child sometimes."

     "She is a morpher, do you know what that could do to my army? Not just Earth domination, but other world dominations!"

      "You will never have her," was all I said. I couldn't loose her, she was my key to my title. 

      "Well, she is unprotected right now. Wonder what could happen to her? A young, defenseless girl. Oh wait—is that a scream I hear?" He titled his ear up to the sky. He was right, there was a scream.

      "Joy-Anna..." I mumbled, and ran off into the woods to find her. 

VOTE COMMENT FAN TELL YOUR FOLLOWERS!

Will upload every 10 votes/30 reads/1 comment