two

Chapter Two: Joy-Anna

           Saturdays. The day I can stroll around the house all day in my pajamas and no one will give a damn. But that wasn't the case for today. Today I was getting my car. my mom promised today would be the day, and all I could think was no more taking the bus. I didn't know what car it was, but that didn't matter. As long as it had wheels, but preferably not a bicycle. I saved up a lot of money for this mystery car, and my mom promised she would help me pay for it. I looked at the window to see if the raven was still there from the previous night. Gone. Thank goodness, I thought to myself. 

          I ran down our flight of stairs and into the kitchen. The thick aroma of bacon was wafting into my nose. I subconsciously licked my lips, and watched my mother cook our breakfast. 

           "So-" I started, but she suddenly jumped and turned around pointing the spatula at me. 

          "Good gracious, Joy-Anna! Do not ever scare me like that again!" After she finished her scold, she turned around to continue her cooking. 

          "I'm sorry, I just wanted to know if we are going to get my car today," I said and slumped down on the stool at our kitchen island. 

           "Of course, I promised, didn't I?" She asked in the mother-is-always-right tone. 

         I sighed, and started nibbling on the fruit that was in the basket. "I guess, I'm just anxious," I said with a mouthful of food.

           "About?" She asked, pulling plates out of the cupboard and started dishing our food.

      "Mom, we all know how picky I am. I have an image in my head, and I don't want to be disappointed," I replied. 

           She sighed, and wrapped an arm snugly around my shoulders. "We will find you a car, don't worry. Now, eat up," she said, and placed the food in front of me.

                                                                       ᴥ  ᴥ  ᴥ

            "I like it," I said in a monotone voice, staring at the Honda Accord. It was a peach colour with a nice interior, but the exterior was not me.    

             "But?" The auto dealer, Craig, asked. 

             "I have my eyes on something else," I said and jerked my thumb to the Lexus RX.

             "Forget it," my mom replied with a stone hard look. I snickered at her comment, and gave her a tight hug. "I mean it, Joy-Anna, look for something else."

              "Fine, fine," I said clicking my tongue.

           "We have a newer car over here, a Buick Allure. On sale for this month only." Craig told us with a compelling look in his eyes. My mom and I looked at each other, and nodded. He took us to the pristine section of the yard. Where there was a few cars, and all of them were grey. As he led us further into the yard, I noticed the car.

              My mouth dropped in astonishment. "Mom, this is the car! Oh my Lord, I am in love!" I ran up to the car, and ran my hand across the hood. Loving the new feel of it. 

              She smiled in agreement. "How much for it?"

              "Two payments of five grand," he replied. 

            I looked at her with pleading eyes. "Please, I love it. I'll do extra housework. Anything, please!" I begged her. 

             She smiled, and closed her eyes with her hands clasped. "Okay, we'll take it." I ran up to her and kissed her cheeks. "But, Joy-Anna, you have to pay one payment of it." I nodded at her requirement.