F I F T E E N

Mattie's mother watched her with weary eyes as she ate the takeout that they ordered while at the same time neglecting to speak to her daughter. For she knew that Mattie was with the boy in black just hours before.

She was watching from the window when she saw it while enjoying the afternoon activity. Children skipping rope and outlining their bodies with chalk on their concrete driveways, simple things kids do that reminded her of Mattie when she was little.

Just then though, she noticed something different.

She seemed off in dance classes, neglecting to concentrate on her moves when she should have been the most considering her recital being next week.

She watched the children play with a smile on her face, but it quickly dimmed as she noticed a girl leaving the dark house next door. And her heart dropped, for it was her daughter.

Her daughter that knew not of misbehaving, her daughter that she thought would never go behind her back, but she was, right before her very eyes.

"You're not hungry?" Mattie asked, putting a forkful of orange chicken in her mouth.

Her mother bit her lip and shook her head. "No."

Mattie looked at her, visibly confused. "Then why did you order some for you-"

"Why did I see you coming out of the Maddox house when you lead me to believe you were in tutoring?" She interrupted, and Mattie instantly dropped her fork with a loud clank.

She remained silent, opening her mouth to speak, but finding no words.

"Mom," she whispered, "he's just a friend-"

"Bullshit!" She stood up angrily, "Do you think I'm stupid? I saw you coming out of that boys home with messy hair and a sweaty face, you gave that boy your virginity didn't you Mattison?" Her face was red with anger, and Mattie's hands began to shake, not ever seeing this side of her mother before.

"No-"

"Don't you lie to me." She stepped closer to her daughter, awaiting for the truth to slip past her lips that were shaky, letting her know instantly that she was nervous.

"I said, no." Mattie repeated, swallowing a forming lump in her throat.

Silence overtook their home, the only sound being the cars outside and the drops of water coming slowly from the faucet.

"Then how about we go and ask him?" She said after a few moments, and Mattie's eyes widened in fear.

"No, mother! I won't allow it."

"Well it's a good thing I'm the parent huh?" Her mother snapped, grabbing her wrist before practically pulling her towards the front door and past the patio.

"Mom! He's probably asleep!" Mattie hissed, feeling tears well up in her eyes in embarrassment as they neared Jaxson's porch.

She didn't reply, only knocked on his door three times harshly with her grip still firm on Mattie's wrist.

A minute passed, and just before she was about to knock once more, a shirtless Jaxson was opening the door with not a hint of shock or fear on his face.