S E V E N T E E N

Jaxson hadn't noticed, for time was inexistent to him without Mattie to help it pass, but weeks had went by in darkened silence for the boy in black.

And as for Mattie, she weeped for the first few days of their break up, letting her tears that soaked into her pillow cool her warmed cheeks as she laid upon it to sleep afterward.

However as time passed, she began to learn to force the painful memories from her mind each time she thought of them. Her mother helped with that, but only by setting her up with some of her church friends sons.

They were all nothing like Jaxson, not even close.

Most of them wore khaki pants and had gelled hair that was always out of their faces, something that Mattie didn't mind, however each time she looked at them all she could think about was Jaxson's charcoal colored hair that was always falling down his forehead.

She had to force the remembrances of when she pushed it back with her hands before looking into his gorgeous eyes that she found herself daydreaming in very quickly. Those memories hurt her, especially as she looked into the eyes of the innocent boys that her mother set her up with.

Their eyes read sex after marriage and chaperoned dates, while Jaxson's eyes always read passion, lust, and not to mention love for the girl that showed him what it was in the first place.

"Mattison! Come to the porch, there's someone here to meet you." Mattie heard from the kitchen as she was cleaning some dishes in the sink.

She sighed, biting her lip in defeat, for she knew there was yet another church boy for her to meet.

She then set a semi-dirty plate down on the counter and made her way across the living room to the front door, seeing a dirty blond boy with freckles and, of course, khakis.

"This is Timothy." Her mother said, placing a hand on his shoulder as he smiled and held his hand out for her to shake.

"I'm Mattie." she replied, shaking his hand and giving off her usual fake smile that nobody seemed to notice.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He nodded her way and squeezed her hand before letting go.

Mattie's mother smiled, and it widened at the sight of Jaxson behind them at his house checking his mail.

His eyes were darker than usual, holding the urge to come up and break the blond's hand for touching Mattie's.

His jaw was clenched, and Mattie's mother noticed that, gaining happiness knowing that the boy that took her daughters innocence was finally understanding that she would soon belong to somebody else.

He grabbed the envelopes from his mailbox with a lump bobbing in his throat, trying his best not to lose his temper by marching next door and grabbing Mattie's mother by the throat for giving him that smile.  

The smile that had him furious, the smile that reminded him that it was her fault that Mattie was hand and hand with another guy.

He clenched his hands so that the envelopes he was holding were almost torn, and as soon as he saw Mattie turn her head, he began walking towards her.

She shook her head, complete and utter sadness deep in her eyes that he missed so much. He stopped in his tracks, and tore his eyes away from hers, for it was the only way he could walk away.