Chapter 9

My head was spinning. he's gone. The boy i love is gone. I stood up losing my balance grabbing on to chucks shoulder for support. He looked at me worried and said something that i didn't hear. I felt tears coming.  i turned toward the trees and ran. My leg ached. i limped trying to get out of sight. i pushed past branches and to a random tree and climbed. I sat on a large branch. Not even caring if anyone saw me, i screamed. I screamed with so much pain. tears finally coming. My best friend...gone. Minho. Alby....Tommy. I wiped at my face. I have to be strong. I have too. They might survive. No one survives a night in the maze. I held my head in my hands as i leaned my head up against the tree. I slowed my breaths.  I heard footsteps. "NEWT" I heard Chuck call. I let out the breath i was holding.

"up here.." i said softly wondering if he could even hear me.  I heard him say my name softly. I looked at him hoping he didn't see my red face. He looked worried. "i'm fine if that's what you're wondering"  

"we need you right now Newt, everyone is freaking out. You're our leader now." chuck said with enough sadness to drown everyone. I shook my head and climbed down. I patted chuck on the back and walked back towards the glade. Everyone stared at me. I ignored them and walked to where everyone could see me. I cleared my throat making sure my voice didn't crack.

"Everyone listen up, i know something horrible just happened but we can't let the loss of Minho, Alby and tomm-Thomas.. bring us down. Maybe they will survive though i hardly doubt it.." i took a deep breath "we will have to continue working no matter what happens. We will see what happens in the morning" I stepped away as everyone sat near the fire talking quietly. I walked towards the maze doors and slid down the wall. All  kept thinking about was Tommy. His cute smile, eyes, personality. I fall more in love with him by each passing second. I wish i hugged him, told him  how i felt. I'm not that brave. I closed my eyes wishing for sleep to take over. It took a few more hours before it finally did.

I woke up to my entire body shaking. The doors were opening. I stood up too fast and got dizzy. I stared at the doors as everyone else came running to the maze entrance. When the doors finally stopped. I searched. My heart dropped. They weren't there. I turned and walked away as everyone followed.  I kept my tears in. I was almost back at the fire until someone screamed "LOOK" i turned around so fast i almost fell. My knees got weak. There they were. All of them. But my eyes went to was Thomas. Before i knew it i was running. Not even caring if they seen me. I pushed past everyone helping and smiling talking to Minho as a few people took Alby away. I pushed past all of them and i seen minho smile at me. I seen Thomas as he was bent over breathing. I ran right up to him and threw my arms around his neck as he stood up and just hugged him. He hugged back instantly. I took in everything. His form, smell, touch. I smiled. and i just stood there with him in my arms. I opened my eyes and fell away from him. I put one hand on my hip and the other on my neck. oops. good job for acting normal Newt. i smiled at him. I awkwardly laughed. "Glad you're alive Tommy" i said to him. I turned and walked to Minho giving him a small hug. "welcome back"

"Thank greenbean over there. He technically killed a griever. Ran through the walls when the maze was changing and smashed the god awful thing"  I looked at Thomas and hid my smile. Everyone started talking as loud as they usually were. I walked back over to Thomas. and just stood there wondering if i should tell him. 

''Newt?'' i looked up at the sound of my name and seen Thomas like 2 inches from my face.. I stared shocked. suddenly he's leaning in. i stood still not sure what to do. Is he going to kiss me? am i going to kiss him? right when i started leaning in the alarm went off and we both jumped away. I was pretty sure i was blushing. That was the box coming up. I ran. along with everyone else i was suprised. It's way to early for the box to come up. I got there and stared at it. Minho opened the box and i didn't know how to understand what was happening . I jumped in and looked at..her... Everyone was asking what it was. I slowly looked up.

"It's a girl" i said. Everyone exploded into conversation. Through all of the talk gally asked what was in her hand. I looked down to see a piece of paper neatly folded inside the grip of her hand. i pulled it away from her  and opened it. 

                                                                     "SHE'S THE LAST ONE EVER"

As i read it conversation along with questions started again.  She sat straight up scaring the bloody shit out of me and screamed his name. "Thomas" My heart shattered a little. She knew him. Then he knows her. (Teresa won't be in a coma in this story sorry)She jumped to her feet and started swinging her fists at me. I ducked and blocked. Minho and a couple other gladers jumped down with me. they grabbed her arms. She started kicking. Before i knew it Thomas screamed. "I'M THOMAS" and she stopped. I looked up at him. Then back at her. she was staring right at him, and i couldn't help but feel jealousy.