What a coincidence

2007

The last note of Rock and Roll that Stevie sang marked the end of her show, that was filmed and it was going to end up as a DVD. She had wanted to do that for a while and when she turned out to be not the only one interested, Stevie couldn't be happier. It took longer than her usual shows would, having to play one song or the other from the top, so the whole thing would be perfect and still, it seemed like it went by in a flash, when Stevie stood in front of widely smiling, clapping and cheering fans. She took the final bow and headed backstage, where her biggest fan was awaiting her.

"Congratulations, sweetheart!"

"Thank you." She smiled, walking towards him, as he wrapped her in a hug. "Did I make Mr. Plant himself happy with my performance?"

"Oh baby, none of your performances ever leave me disappointed." Robert winked, before pressing their lips together.

"Get a room!" Waddy's voice separated them, as they laughed.

"You know we will." Robert said back, taking Stevie by the hand, escorting her to her dressing room.

"I had so much fun out there!"

"Great, I'm glad. I didn't see much, but I did hear and you sounded fantastic."

"Well, I can't trust your opinion, you might be biased." She said, as they entered the room, her eyes going wide at the huge bouquet of long stem red roses. "Oh, Robert... These are beautiful!"

"As are you." He circled her waist from behind, kissing her on the cheek. "And you're welcome. We're also going out to dinner, so you have to get your behind moving, so we wouldn't be late for the reservations."

She turned around in his arms, giving him a longer, more passionate kiss, since it was just the two of them. "You are a dream."

"Thanks." He patted her butt, saying. "I don't see this moving yet."

"Are we going to be alone?"

"Hopefully."

"I do need to get home first, I'm in desperate need of a shower."

"Uh, fine, but you're going to have to be quick."

"Promise."

Then Karen came in and Stevie asked her long time assistant to take care of everything and make sure her stage clothes would safely return to the house. Karen told her not to worry and go out and enjoy her evening.

"You're a gem, Karen."

"Yeah, what else am I going to do? Find a 9 to 5 job at an office? I don't think so, I'd rather be told what to do by Stevie Nicks."

"Aw, you're so sweet."

"I can be." Karen laughed. "Now go!"

With that Stevie and Robert were on their way to his car. He drove them back to the house they'd been calling their home for the past three years, Stevie hurrying up the stairs and to the bathroom to take that shower, while Robert patiently waited.

Surprisingly, Stevie came to join him in the living room in under an hour, her hair blow-dried and loose, as she wore her figure complimenting dress and her beloved boots, finishing the look off with light makeup.

"Told you I was going to be quick."

"I'm shocked, to be honest." Robert stood up, admiring her appearance. "You take my breath away every time I lay my eyes on you."

"Stop..." Stevie blushed, looking away. "I'm a grown woman, I shouldn't be blushing anymore!"

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with that. To me it's actually nice to know I can still do that to you." He slid his arm around her back, as they were on their way out.

"Oh, wait! I forgot my shawl, it might get chilly."

After a couple more minutes she returned, the shawl placed on her shoulders, saying now they were definitely good to go.

When they got to the restaurant, they were directed to a more secluded area, a table for two set. They placed their order and while waiting, sipped on wine, talking about the concert.

"Tell me, what did you really think about it?"

"What do you mean? Like I said, I couldn't see you, but it was enough to listen and you did sound wonderful."

"You really think so?"

"Absolutely. I don't understand where these insecurities of yours are coming from, you've got nothing to worry about, darling. There's a reason you're the reign Queen of Rock and Roll."

"I just... I do worry every time, once I'm on stage that fear disappears, but before walking out, I get so nervous, then when I walk off, I start thinking what could have I done better?"

"You were amazing, end of story." Robert assured once more, placing his hand over hers.

"Makes me think, maybe I should go on tour..."

"If that's what you want, you know I'll support you, but it would be really hard to be without you."

"Or... what if we go on a co-headlining tour?"

"That's definitely something to consider." He nodded, not having thought about it ever before. "Hold that thought, I'll run to the restroom."

"Sure." Stevie said, leaning back in her seat.

A moment later...

"Stevie?"

She turned around quickly. "Lindsey! Where did you come from?" She got up, stepping into his open arms. "It's been ages!"

"Too long." He nodded, smiling. "Kristen and I decided on a night out."

"Hi." Only then Stevie acknowledged Lindsey's wife as they exchanged polite smiles.

"You look great. Different." He added, noting the dress she was wearing.

"As do you, mister! It's nice to see you without that damned leather jacket."

"Nobody seems to like it." Lindsey laughed.

"I know I don't! I prefer those shirts you wore during our last tour, it's not nice at all placing my hands on your shoulders, feeling that cold leather."

Kristen stood, trying to block the conversation out. She didn't like Stevie, Stevie didn't like her, but they had to act civil around each other.

"Well, good evening." Robert said, rejoining the table. "What a coincidence."

"Evening, Robert." Lindsey shook hands with him. "I haven't had a chance to congratulate you on the engagement yet. You're one lucky guy."

"I know. I was going to do everything to keep the best that's ever happened to me." At least three of the four understood it as a slight dig at Lindsey.

"That's very true." He nodded. "Anyway, we won't be keeping you, you seem to be enjoying your time together. We should go to our table, honey."

"It was nice seeing you, Linds."

"You too." He half-smiled, moving on after goodbyes.

Alone again, Robert took a gulp of the wine, saying. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. Just that I haven't seen Lindsey in so long, it would be nice to catch up."

He sighed, sensing how her mood took a one eighty turn. "Would you like to join them?"

"Really?"

"Sure." He faked a smile. "If that's what you want."

"Oh great! I'm going to ask them then."

The smile faded from Robert's face, as soon as Stevie turned away. From a romantic dinner with his fiancee, it turned out to be an uncomfortable meal out with his fiancee and her ex, along with the ex's obnoxious wife.