Chapter 2: New Teacher

Edited On: 12/17/19

Okay, for those that are getting confused about TechEd, when I was in seventh grade I had TechEd and it was Woodworking for my school. Letting you know in advance because that seems to be what a lot of comments about that is about.

The first thing that happened when I got my books out of my locker at school was me being pushed against the said locker.

I stumbled and fell as the bullies that were in my life just laughed at me (from their facial expression anyway), all to use to this I grabbed my books and quickly slipped away before they felt like torturing me with their talking (or their smell).

I slipped away and went to my class, Unadvanced Chemistry. It wasn't my most difficult class, my worst class was English but as I pay attention most of the time I get the gist of it.

But Chemistry was one of my easier subjects, I've known it since I was little. The other things that were easy were Math and TechEd where you just build things with wood. I'd prefer electronics but beggars can't be choosers.

One of the first ones in class I took my seat in the back of the classroom and noticed that our normal teacher wasn't here.

Instead, there was a man that looked around middle age or on the younger side with glasses writing on the board 'Mr.Banner'. So it was going to be one of those days when I hope that the substitute doesn't call on me.

It was the beginning of school and I mostly come in early because of Gabe and the bullies. I was the only one in the classroom because the other students were still talking to their friends and the other fellow introverts have yet to arrive.

The sub turned around and looked directly at me for a few seconds giving me a smile but moved to the desk where there were some papers probably full of instructions.

He turned around and looked at me expectantly and that's when it clicked he was probably talking. Hesitating, but deciding why not, I moved my hands in sign language.

He looked slightly shocked then smiled and returned sign language, "My apologies, I asked you what your name was." he smiled and I was relieved he didn't seem to make such a big deal about me being talking in sign language.

"Percy Jackson, Sir," I signed back.

Mr.Banner just smiled and thanked me while checking a name off a list full of students. I kept to myself and tried to draw my mom the best I could before giving up, her image was fading over time and we didn't have many images of her so it was both hard and heartbreaking.

Eventually, I crumpled up the piece of paper just as students filed into the room. Stuffing it aside for the moment until I can throw it away I focused on what Mr.Banner was saying and noticed how he always was in my line of eyesight. Something most teachers didn't even consider doing, so for once I was very glad he understood my dilemma.

Sometimes our teacher turned away and it got annoying because I didn't know what he was saying then.

He was explaining the test we were about to take and how he was going to be here for an entire week because our teacher was on his honeymoon, which he didn't tell us (or turned away from me when he did), and I actually felt relief.

The test was easy enough, I was always studying whenever Gabe left me alone so my mind was busy I quickly finished the test and handed it in.

For the rest of the time until the students were done I was snuggled into my seat reading a book by Charles Dickens, the Christmas Carol.

There must have been something going on in the hallway because when I looked up Mr.Banner excused himself and went out of the room.

Right after he did that one of the bullies, that happened to be smart enough to be in the same classroom as me, crumbled some notebook paper and threw it at me, his goons did the same thing and I just sighed.

Normal to this I wasn't phased by it, but it was unexpected when I was pushed out of my seat, my book falling onto the ground.

I read their lips, "Isn't this a little bit too hard for little deafy?" the guy sneered then picking up my book.

Scrambling up, and for once thankful it was one of my books and not a library, I tried to stop the bully but I was too late.

He already ripped out a number of pages. Tears threatened to spill. I HATE THIS SCHOOL. I shouted mentally.

Just then the door opened and Mr.Banner stepped into the room and immediately took notice to the four boys and my facial expression plus the few pages that were around the floor. 

He got mad and unless it was my imagination his eyes turned green for a split second but it was gone the next. The boys didn't even look phased as they were sent back to their seats with the promise of detention.

But we all knew they wouldn't because their fathers had lots of money, they just didn't go to prep school. Instead, they got away with things like this and it completely sucked.

The principle pretty much kissed their toes letting them get away with things like this. I reached down and picked up my book and the papers that were torn out of it.

I was extremely sad because my mom gave me this book when I could hear she use to read this to me each and every night. Even when I was deaf she would read it to me using sign language until I fell asleep.

The only reason I bring it to school with me is that Gabe often ripped some of my other books at home, and I never wanted it to happen to this book. But I suppose fate hated me.

Right now it felt like the universe was telling me to forget my mother and her memories; first, her voice disappeared, now her face is starting to, and now the memories we had.

Instead of wanting to yell at the bullies, even when I think about it my throat closes up, I picked up my book and put the torn pages into the book to tape back together later.

As Mr.Banner was talking he purposely gave the harder questions to the bullies and I smirked a little, it wasn't much but it helped.

It was actually nice to know there was someone who was looking out for me.

Even if it was a substitute.