The Walls Are Closing In | Five

“We have good new and bad news.” Dr. James said to us.

Jack, Alex, Rian, Zack, and I had all piled into the doctors office to hear the news about the tests. I had wanted to go in alone, but then Jack said that Liam was his son too and he deserved to be there. Which started a whole rant about being friends and being close to Liam already, by the other guys. I didn’t have the strength to argue with them, so I allowed it. Thankfully, so did Dr. James.

“Bad news first.” I said.

“Okay, well sadly, Jack wasn’t a match to Liam.” Dr. James said, sadly.

“But there is good news?” Jack asked.

“Yes,” he said. “While you weren’t a match to him neither was Alex or Zack. But Rian was. We can perform the operation in two weeks time, should Rian agree to it.”

We all looked at Rian, who was staring at the doctor dumbfounded.

“Thank you,” I said, getting up from my seat. “We’ll get back to on it.”

“Alright, but I need your answer soon.” he said, getting up to shake my hand. “It was nice to see you again Spencer, and it was nice to meet you all.”

We thanked him and left the office and made our way to Liam’s room. I had to see if he had woken up yet.

“Why did you tell him we would get back to him?” Rian asked me while we sat around Cora’s. “I’m going to do it, he’s Jack’s son; he’s basically family.”

“I said it because it is a major decision Rian.” I said, picking at my food. “You have to make sure that your insurance will cover it, who will take care of you after the procedure. This isn’t something you do spur of the moment. You have to know your medical history to make sure they don’t use anything that could hurt you.”

“And he will,” Jack said. “But he’s already agreed to save our son, isn’t that enough?”

“No, it isn’t.” I said. “I want him to be sure that he is okay with being out for God knows how long, this will affect your lives to. You’re going out on tour soon right? Will he be up in enough time to perform?

“I don’t want to inconvenience your lives.”

“Don’t you even care that Liam might die, if Rian doesn’t do this?” Zack asked quietly.

I whipped my head to look at him.

“Of course I care.” I seethed. “How dare you even ask me that, I’ve had to deal with him being sick for much longer than you have. He is my only son, my four year old son. What mother wants their child to die at that age? You’re a bastard for even asking me that, I’ve been going crazy over this for months.

“I’m not going to deal with this. First I sleep with Jack and now I am being accused of not loving my son? You guys haven’t changed at all.”

I got up and grabbed my things.

“If Rian wants to do it fine. But don’t complain to me when you’re out because of the surgery. Thanks for helping my son, you have the doctors number you can call him and tell him that you’ll do it. But leave me alone.”

Alex

“Dude.” Jack groaned at Zack.

“I didn’t mean it like that!” he said. “I swear! I know she cares about Liam.”

“I’ll go get her,” I sighed.

I got up and left the table, hoping that I could catch up with Spencer. Thankfully, Spencer didn’t drive herself here, so she was waiting at the bus stop across the street from the diner.

“Spencer!” I called out.

She looked up and then looked back down, pretending not to have heard me. I crossed the street and went and sat beside her.

“Spencer,” I said. “Come back inside. It’s not warm enough tonight for you o be waiting outside, one of us will drive you home.”

“I’m not coming back in to talk to any of you.” she huffed.

“Come on,” I whined. “You know Zack didn’t mean it like that. He knows that you love Liam, we all do.”

“You don’t even know him.” she muttered.

“And whose fault is that?” I said.

“Look....I.....” she sighed giving up.

“Just come back in.” I said.

“No.” she said.

“Why? Zack didn’t mean it”

“I know,” she said. “I guess I am just a little stressed out. But I won’t come in because I am embarrassed.”

“What do you...oh.” I said, getting it. “Because you slept with Jack?”

She nodded.

“Why did you?” I asked her. “Aren’t you mad at him? Hell aren’t you mad at all of us except Zack?”

“Yes,” she said. “I don’t know, I was drunk and sad and lonely and worried about my son. We were talking and one thing led to another. The worst part is that I didn’t try to stop him, as much as I hate what he, what you all, did, there is a part of me that still loves him. And now I will be around him even more because of Liam and I know Jack wants to know his son; you all do.”

“You and Jack obviously need to talk Spencer.” I said. “He’s not as over you as you may think he is.”

“I thought we had moved on.” she sighed. “But seeing him just brought up feelings that I didn’t even know I had for him.”

I just hugged her. She looked so down and sad; she looked like she used to back in high school, like she had the world on her shoulders. I wanted to tell her everything would be alright and that everything would work out but I wasn’t even sure if that was the truth. I normally had a good outlook on life but after these last few weeks I wasn’t so sure.

“Don’t worry too much.” I told her. “Rian will help Liam out and everything will go back to normal.”

“I hope you’re right Alex,” she cried. “Dear God I hope you’re right.”

So did I.