The Walls Are Closing In | Two

“So have you gotten a call from Jack yet?” Cole asked me.

It had been almost a week since Liam told Ann what his wish was; Cole had come over to talk with me.

“No,” I said, putting a cup of coffee in front of him. “I’m not too sure I will. He can’t want to talk to me, especially since I didn’t tell him he had a four year old son. I mean, how would you feel if you suddenly found out you had a kid?”

“True.” he said. “I just want Liam to know his dad, should he pass away.”

“Me too.” I sighed. “I don’t know what I’ll do if he dies, Cole. He’s the only true family I have now. You and Susan are pretty much my parents now, legally even, but he is my only biological tie. I can’t lose him.”

“Sweetie, you won’t lose him.” he said firmly.

I just hope he was right. Liam was my everything now.

After Cole had left Katsumi called and said that she was coming over bearing gifts and treats.

As promised, Katsumi brought gifts and treats and movies. We watched movies and painted each others nails until it was ten in the evening. I felt like I was back in high school with Katy, I had totally forgotten about my fear of Jack and sadness for Liam. I felt like a normal person in their twenties.

“This was fun.” Kat said smiling.

“Yeah it was.” I agreed, still watching the movie that was playing. “I haven’t had this much fun in a long time.”

“Well good.” she said. “Jared said that he is going to come in to do his bass part tomorrow and we need you to do the vocals and then our album is pretty much done.”

“Alright, I’ll be there in the afternoon.” I said. “I just wish I could come on tour with you guys this time, but with Liam in the hospital...I just can’t.”

“We understand, Spence. Family first. Oh, by the way.” she said suddenly. “Jared and Gary’s parents invited us over for dinner at their place next week. I know it is in New York, but it’ll be fun.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“That’s all we ask.” she said.

We went back to having our Harry Potter marathon. Once we were half way through the fourth movie, the doorbell rang and Kat got up saying to get it, saying she would pay for the pizza we had ordered.

“Spence?” Kat called out. “Can you come here?”

“Sure,”

I got up and grabbed my purse, I slipped on my slippers and shuffled to the door. My legs were already getting cold, being that I was only in boxers.

“Did you not have enough money?” I asked, digging through my purse for my wallet.

“No, I have enough.” she said. “It’s just that, it’s not the pizza guy.”

“Then who...” I paused as I looked up from my bag. “Oh.”

It was Jack, Alex, Rian, and Zack.

“Hi.” I greeted them uncertainly.

Kat looked from me to the four guys standing in my doorway and then back to me. She was trying to figure out what was going on before I saw it all click in her head, she knew what has happening.

“I’m going to go to into the living room.” she said slowly. “I’ll leave you guys to duke it out.”

I shot her a pleading look.

“You knew you’d have to deal with this eventually.” she whispered.

“Um, come in.” I said.

They came in, without a word, and followed me into the kitchen. I gestured for them to sit and started getting out mugs for coffee. As we all sat at the table, we were waiting for someone to say something first. I knew that I should, but I didn’t even know where to begin.

“I don’t hear talking!” Kat called from the living room. “Unless you’re all making out I expect to hear voices!”

I chuckled quietly, only Kat would do, say, something like that.

“So, um,” I started. “I’m guessing that the Make A Wish Foundation talked to you?”

They nodded.

“And I’m guessing that you want to know if Liam is actually Jack’s son?” they nodded again. “He, um, he is.”

Jack looked up and visibly paled.

“I don’t expect you to claim him or anything,” I said hurriedly. “He just wants to meet his dad before something happens to him and I was going to try and see you actually, I.. he... I was going to come to you because he needs a bone marrow transplant and you may be our only hope.”

“It’s been almost five years, Spencer.” Jack said. “Why is it that I only hear about important things from you after they happen? I’ve had a son for four years and you never thought to tell me?!”

“I did.” I said. “But can you blame me? It’s not like we left off on good terms Jack, you thought I was a lying, cheating bitch and I didn’t ever want to see you again. The only one I’ve talked to is Zack and by the time I had figured out what I wanted to do with the baby, I still wasn’t sure on whether or not I wanted to talk or see you.”

“That’s no fucking reason to not tell me that I have a son Spencer!” he yelled. “I had a right to know that I got you pregnant, you should have told me. For this to be the way for me to find out wasn’t fair to me or our son. Can you imagine not knowing that you had a dad or thinking that your dad abandoned you and you’re about to die?”

“I know it was wrong.” I said quietly. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for you to find out this way.”

He sighed heavily. I wish I knew what he was thinking at that moment, but I was thankful that I didn’t. I just hoped that as much as he hated me, he would want to see Liam and would see if he was a match to Liam.