23. Sacrifice

I watched in lightning quick speed as three men entered the house. They were already being thrown around, crashing into furniture only to quickly recover.
I worried that Duke couldn't take on all three of them at once. It would be impossible.
I was sure that it was Ryde and Dodge here with us. The other, I wasn't sure about.

My breathing became heavy, so I clamped a hand over my mouth, terrified that if I breathed too loudly they'd hear me.

I could see Ryde's vicious features. He was in a crouch position, his familiar bone chilling fangs protruding from his mouth as he snarled towards his enemy, Duke.
Dodge was standing back, as if enjoying the entertainment in front of him.
He was tall, burly but held professional about the way he stood.
The only thing that singled him out as a vicious vampire were his razor fangs and pasty skin.

My eyes snapped back to the scene as Duke threw the man off his back with so much force that the man collided with the side of the wood cabin, a hole gapping.
Duke hurriedly turned his attention to Ryde.

It was frightening to see Duke the way he was in that moment. His eyes were black. His face was snarled upwards, his teeth were sharp and terrifying. He was circling Ryde as Ryde taunted him with a beckoning finger.

"Can't have her all to yourself" He snarled, edging Duke to attack him first "She tasted so good that night I almost killed her, I bet she'll taste just as good when I drain her dry" He continued, causing me to shutter

Duke growled and then he lunged forward. But just as quick, the other man came rushing back into the room, attacking from behind. Thankfully, Duke was faster, spinning around in time to throw him back out the cabin hole.

Without hesitation Duke turned back towards Ryde, sending forceful bone crunching punches into his stomach and face. He attempted to grip Ryde's neck, but Ryde would slip free and fight back.
During a chance opportunity, Duke struck, punching Ryde with so much force in the stomach, it send him flying against the fireplace. His clothes caught alight, fire bursting through the fabric. Duke took a step towards him, lifting him up by the neck and twisting his other hand around his head, ready to crack it to the side.
Ryde began frantically trying to pry Duke's fingers away, but he was too weak in comparison. He was snarling his teeth inches from Duke's face, desperate.

I waited for the crack to sound as I squeezed my eyes shut. But it didn't come.
Instead, I heard cackling followed by another whoosh of wind fluttering through the room.

I peeled my eyes open, and to my horror, I could see that Dodge had Duke by the neck, holding his head as if ready to snap it. The unknown man was wrapping steel chains around his wrists. Ryde was already up, the fire put out, he was quickly sending his balled fists into Duke's stomach for revenge.

"Enough!" Dodge demanded as he glared at Ryde

Duke's eyes were now held tightly on mine as I locked gaze with him.
My heart tore through my chest and I felt like I was going to be sick.

"Settle down Duke, settle down" Dodge sighed lightly as Duke wriggled in his tight grip.

I knew that there was no chance of him getting loose. It was three against one. I had expected it to happen.

"Just tell us where the girl is, and I will let you live son" Dodge tried calmly, holding his arm around his neck, the other hand on top of his head, ready to twist it

"I know she's here somewhere, I can smell it. But I would much rather you tell me than to have to tear up this lovely house. After all, my brother did help to build it" Dodge continued, Duke finally stopping his wriggling, his eyes melting into a soft gold as he stared at me