20. Cabin

That night, Riley made me dinner while begging for information about Duke and I.
I told him the story, and ended it by telling him I didn't want to proceed with plan b, seeing as I thought plan a had worked, somewhat. He was shocked, but I had to convince him that Duke was right.
Now wasn't really the time and place, and after the whole ordeal was over, Duke and I wouldn't see each other ever again. I was going to die, he wasn't.

-

I happily ate my spaghetti Bolognas with Riley for about an hour before I made my way back upstairs to my room. It was about eleven at night, and I felt more exhausted than ever. I had to admit, scheming was hard work.

I changed into my loose pants and shirt from the night before. I then walked out of the bathroom, expecting Duke to be sitting there, but he wasn't.
I didn't question it and just figured he was a little late as I crawled in under my covers. I  sighed as I watched the reflection of swaying tree's outside the window. It was a gusty night, and I listened to the sound of the tree scratch against the wall for about half an hour before the sound of it became more forceful, more like fingernails against the wall.

My eyes were open as I lay still, watching the clawed hands of the tree branches from outside.
Suddenly, I felt an all too familiar uneasiness in my stomach, like when we were at Janey's.
Something was wrong.
I internally became nervous, somewhat hoping Duke would sense it and fly up to check it was okay. As I did, I crawled up out of bed and slowly walked towards the window, leaning my head closer to it to look down at the noise.

As I did, my eyes quickly caught sight of a man racing towards the window, my heart stopped, my eyes wide as my hands instinctively flew over my face and head for cover. When the impact came, I could heard glass shatter around me. My eyes clamped shut, my body quickly being twirled around and thrown across the room to land against the far wall.
My ears began to ring, my gaze attempting to catch up with the loud grunting and the sound of speed around me.
As expected, I felt a sting in my wrist as it bent uncomfortably from landing.

Duke had at some point rushed in, obviously feeling my warning as he and the man sped around the room in attack mode. Just as quickly as it started, Darius, Parry, Riley and Jaymi came bolting into the room, the door near falling off it's hinges as they all ran towards the threat, each holding a limb as the man thrashed around and bared his fangs towards me, growling viciously.

His face was terrifying, his expression was held with pure hatred, pure evil as he snarled while staring his coal black eyes at me.
Duke was seconds later infront of me, blocking my view as he held my face up to watch his. I stared back at him, noticing the colour change in his eyes. Suddenly, there was a crack and a screech that filled the room, followed by a large puff of dust.
As fast as it had begun, it was over.
But was he was alone? Surely he wouldn't be, surely he knew that by Dodge and Ryde sending him here alone,  he would end up dead, why do it?

I tried to contain my rigid breathing, focusing on Duke's face.
He gently let go of my cheeks and pulled me up, thats when I hissed out, a spike of pain shooting through my arm as he pulled my hand up, nearly clicking my wrist out of it's already damaged socket.

I winced, and pulled back my hand.

"Whats wrong?" Duke was instantly holding it, running his cold long fingers around my wrist that burned and ached

"I landed on it wrong" I told him, still taken back by what had just happened

"Is she okay?" Jaymi puffed as she stood besides us, along with Parry and Riley.
Darius had already taken off, hopefully checking that the man had been alone.

"Yeah, I'm fine" I answered for myself

"That was way too close" Riley began, looking at Duke "Where the hell were you?" He shot towards him angrily