Ch. 3

Ch. 3

Mickey’s POV

As we pulled into the parking lot of McDonalds, the flashing McDonalds sign at the entrance glowed in the early-morning darkness. Jumping out of the car, Brandon and I walked into, what I would like to call, heaven. As we made our way through the doors, a rush of heat and the smell of greasy fries, and chicken McNuggets hit me. Torturing my stomach, my eyes scanned across all of the menus hanging inside McDonalds. I spotted the McDouble I was craving right next to the number 7, along with a picture of a medium soda and fries. With out hesitating, I made my way towards the front counter. 

“Hello, and welcome to McDonalds. May I take your order?” the cashier smiled warmly at me. She looked to be about my age. She wore a blue button down t-shirt, followed by a pair of black pants.

Ignoring her polite greeting, I answered with my order, “I’ll have a number seven.”

Keeping up the fake, cheery tone, she replied, “will that be all?” I nodded. “That will be $5.75” I handed the cashier $6, and waited impatiently for my change back. Once she placed the 25 cents in my hand, I walked off and waited by the other counter. I looked to see where Brandon was, and saw him ordering at the same cashier as me. I noticed how he smiled back at the women, and said please and thank you.

I remember when Brandon had worse manners than me. He used to forcefully flirt with women all the time, and never say “please,” or “thank you”.  He also use to never pay for anything. He stole more than me!

But that was before he decided he needed to grow up. For me, I’m happy the way I am. I already am grown up. This is what I want to do for the rest of my whole life; be bad.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, I watched as what looked like a 20-year-old boy, place down a tray with my food on it, accompanied with a paper cup. As he placed it on the counter, he also dropped a wink towards me. I smirked back towards him, and made my way to find a seat for Brandon and I.

As I looked around the many booths and tables for the first time, I noticed we weren’t the only customers here at this time. I’m not sure how I didn’t notice them before. They are being quite loud for my liking. The only thing I like loud is my music, which happens to be punk-rock.

As I examined the other customers, I realized it was a group of teenage boys. There were about five of them. They were all wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts. Along with the clothes, they had either a beanie or there hood up. I couldn’t see all of there faces from where I was standing, which really ticked me off. The curiosity of not being able to see who else comes to McDonalds at this time of day, eating me alive.

 As I continued to stare aimlessly at the boys, a flash of blue came in contact with my similar color eyes. As soon as it was there, it left. As soon as it left, it came back. This time instead of the boy averting his eyes to a different direction, they stayed in a trance with mine. Almost like they were caught. I started feeling something weird build in the pit of my stomach, so I was the one to break eye contact this time. Deciding that the weird feeling was my stomach eating itself from the lack of food, I took a seat in a chair facing away from the boys.

I started eating my fries aimlessly; waiting for Brandon to sit down. As I was eating, I felt something burning in the back of my head. The feeling that a pair of eyes were looking straight at me from the back. Paying no more attention to the feeling, I continued picking at my fries.

A couple of minutes later, my fingers came into contact with an empty cardboard box. I looked down at my hand and saw that my medium box of fries, were now just a medium box. I groaned to my self; upset I didn’t order larger fries. I also noticed the lack of presence that was suppose to be accompanying me.

 I looked around and spotted dark brown bed-head hair, talking to a girl behind a counter. As I look closer, I notice them flirting more than talking. I decide to just let Brandon do his thing. If I disturb him now, he will just have another reason to be mad at me.

I look down and notice my empty cup sitting on the table. Realizing how dry my throat is, I decide to fill it up. As I stand up, I finally decide to look back at the eyes I thought I felt starring at me. To my suspicions, I was right. The same blue eyes I met before, came into contact with mine for the third time today. I held contact with him until I was next to the soda fountains. I placed my cup down under the nozzles, and looked through the flavors. 

Coke, Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Pepsi. I decided I was to thirsty to keep looking through the flavors, and just got Pepsi. As I pushed the button that said Pepsi, I watched as the bubbly liquid poured into my cup. As my cup was only a quarter filled, I felt a presence right next to me. I looked up to my left to see the same blue eyes starring into mine for the fourth time this night. Except this time, the eyes were towering over me.

Usually, a person would be scared from the sudden closeness, but I’m used to the feeling of fear. Instead of continuing to look into these mysterious eyes, I took advantage of how close we were, to check him out. I removed my now tired thumb from the Pepsi symbol. He was about 5’ 9”, had brown hair that was styled into a quiff similar to Brandon’s, and a little bit of stubble on his upper lip and chin. All in all, this boy was pretty attractive.

His pink lips turned into a small smile. “Pepsi girl?” he asked

“Excuse me?” I replied not understanding him correctly.

“You prefer Pepsi instead of Coke.” his smooth British accent flooded my ears.

“Oh. I don’t really see a difference.” I heard shuffling on the other side of me, and noticed Brandon standing next to me with a paper bag. I’m guessing the paper bag contains his now cold food. 

“Lets eat at home Mickey. I want to get you home because I doubt you fed Blaze.” Brandon said. Blaze was my puppy. He was a German Shepherd that was only 3 months old. I found him down an alley way in a box that said November 5, 2012. I’m guessing that was his birth date. I saw him on November 8th, and he was so small he could fit in my hand. He was crying and had some cuts on him. I couldn’t just leave him there, so I decided to take him in and nourish him back to health.

Snapping out of my little memory, I nodded and walked back to my table with my Pepsi. I took my McDouble and started heading towards the door. I turned around to see what the boy was doing, and he was still standing by the soda fountains. He was looking at me with a confused look. He brought up his hand and flew me wave. I just walked out the door and headed into the direction of Brandon’s truck. I can’t wait to see my baby.