The Smart One and The Popular One

Kimberley's POV

Popularity.

That's always a main topic in a school, especially in high schools.

If your popular then you get all the boys wanting to date you and everyone knows you, but if you're not then no boys want to date you and that's only if they know you in the first place.

I could not turn up to school tomorrow and nobody would notice, whereas that would be different for other girls in my class.

It would be better if I had been here since the start of Year 7 like everyone else but due to my dad getting a new job we had to leave our lives behind and come to Newcastle for him.

I'm an only child meaning on my first day I really was on my own, I was introduced to my form class and then nobody spoke to me.

That was 2 months ago and it's stayed the same since.

It's not like I mind though, I'd rather keep my head down and study so I can get out of here, go to college and then get into a good university.

I was the girl that showed up 1 month into Year 11 when everyone had already formed their friendship groups years ago. I did have other friends but they were all back in Bradford, I still talk to them from time to time but it's not the same.

I do have one friend here called Nicola but she's in a different form and I only have maths and music with her. We meet up at lunch whenever we can but she's part of the choir group meaning 2 of her lunchtimes a week are taken up.

I usually spend my time in the library away from everyone. Hardly anyone comes in there, it's seen as not cool but I honestly couldn't care, and
it's not like I had a reputation to ruin in the first place.

To have a good reputation here you have to be able to handle yourself and win fights, that's defiantly not me. I have never been in a fight in my life and I don't plan on getting in one any time soon.

Just like any typical year or class you have the popular kids. The people that everyone wants to be or to date. They run the school and everyone knows it, you don't mess with them. The boys are always messing about and playing football while the girls encourage them while wearing short skirts and fixing their make up every chance they get.

"Can everyone please face the board and listen."

My gaze moves up from my work to the tired, old looking man that we call our English teacher. He can never control the class properly and I do feel sorry for him but I'm not gonna make myself even more of a loser by helping him out.

"What? And look at your face? No thanks mate."

There you have it. An example of one of the popular boys. His names Alex Sampson, he's always messing about, never handing in work and always being kicked out of classes. Which in this schools results as him being one to the most popular boys at this High School.

"Alex, get out." Usually there's some sort of argument between the teacher and Alex so I'm quite surprised that the teacher sent him out straight away today.

"Gladly." He gets a cheer as he leaves the classroom by the group of people that were around him but I just think he's immature and stupid.

"Ok, your task is on the board and it's due in one week, you will be in pairs for this..." You could practically see everyone else in the class turning round to smile at their friends but their happiness was soon cut short. "...which I will be putting you in."

Along with the rest of the class I didn't like this, normally when everyone goes into groups or pairs I stay on my own then convince the teacher to let me do it on my own but this means I actually have to work with someone else now.