Chapter Seven

One thing was certain after that conversation with my mother. Moving out wasn't an option to ponder on anymore. It needed to turn into action; I simply had to leave now. That very night, I called up Layla, telling her how I'd love to take her up for her offer in moving in. She was beyond ecstatic, as expected.

For the next few days, I packed all of my belongings. Whenever I thought of a way to break it to her that I was leaving, I always backed out of it. Mom was so busy with some gala opening in Northern California that I doubted she'd even catch onto the move until it was too late.

Never did I think I would be in this situation, loathing confronting someone with the inevitable truth. Another inevitable thing I knew I had to face was going to Lockhart Inc.'s headquarters. The easy part was done, I had already scheduled an appointment. Akin tried to explain that if I did this for my mom, then there shouldn't be a reason why I'd feel like I had to stick around for her judgmental stares and forceful instructions to grab a job I didn't want.

It wasn't until the day before the interview until I had finally told my mom about me leaving. The movers van I had rented waiting outside. It was then when I sprung the announcement on her as fast as I could. It was like a repeat of the night before when she had first learned about my desires to leave. Layla and Akin were there though, so she wasn't as openly anger, but I could see the flames roaring behind her eyes being caped, calmed in the present of guests. In a few hours, I was out of the house with all of my things, heading for my new home.

Layla's lived in a lavish apartment that looked over the city and a good portion of the Golden Gate Bridge. A sliver of blue was far away in the distance, sun bounced on the waving waters. Akin and I had only gone over to her place a handful amount of time, and with each visit, it looked more and more beautiful. I slightly recalled Layla saying how she didn't pay for the apartment and that her parents did, and that she only used her checks from the White Lantern for her food. Her parents took care of everything else. I'd yet to ask what in the world her parents did to afford a place like this.

"You're room is on the far left." She pointed down the narrow hallway. "The walls are white, but feel free to paint and design it however you want to."

With a short nod, I made my way to my bedroom, lugging one of my many suitcases. The room was a lot more spacious than my last one. Throwing the suitcase on the already made bed, I crashed beside the case, relaxing my tensed muscles into the comfort of the mattress. My eyes hadn't even completely closed for a good second before Akin started shouting at me, pulling me out of bed.

"No resting!" he boomed. "You've an interview tomorrow and you haven't even picked out what're going to wear."

"I'm going to be wearing clothes," I replied. "As long as I get that part right, I should be fine."

My two best friends were more flipping eager about this interview than I was. During the ride up to Layla's apartment, they had thrown endless questions at me, asking if I'd wear pumps or not, curl my hair or not, make-out with Sebastian or not. The list went on and on. In the end, I told them if I could go through the entire interview without stabbing someone, I'd be super lucky. And that I highly doubted Sebastian would be the one who ran interviews. I'd probably have to talk with someone who wasn't a Lockhart.

Layla and Akin tag teamed, one rummaging through my clothes and the other checking out my makeup supplies, seeing what was okay and what was simply not acceptable for the occasion. When I moved from Arkansas, I had sold or thrown away a lot of my clothes. After numerous articles of clothing had been flung around the carpeted floor, they had settled on a black pencil skirt and flowy white blouse that had long sleeves. They were both satisfied with each other once they figured out the little details for the outfit and for my makeup. I was told to step into the outfit, despite the late hour. By half past nine, they had finished everything up on me. Moving a bit back, they gave me one look over.

Akin started a slow clap. Layla joined in.

I rolled my eyes, feeling the mascara they had coated onto my lashed brush against my skin. "You guys are acting like I'm going off to a date. It's a job interview for crying out loud."

"Who cares? You'll look great while doing it," Layla stated.

"If Sebastian doesn't stop and stare at you," Akin said, "he's probably gay then. And in that case, you need to give him my number."

"I already told you. I'm not having an interview with Sebastian."

"Trust me." Layla came up from behind me, clasping my shoulders and smiling at my reflection. "He's going to be there."

I let them believe their assumption that Sebastian would pop up at the headquarters. I didn't want to entertain that thought. Did he work there himself? I didn't know for sure. Layla had said something about how Sebastian had once been employed there before he vanished, but she didn't know if he had taken back his position or not.

Akin left soon after we watched a movie in the living room. Washing off the makeup and stepping out of the clothes, I got into my PJs. After saying goodnight to Layla, I went off to bed, sleeping in my new room for the first time.

An hour had past and I still couldn't nod off to sleep just yet. My stomach was in knots, wondering about tomorrow and all that it promised. For everyone's safety and my own sanity, I hoped Sebastian would wouldn't be there.

+

please vote