Significance - Chapter Twenty Eight

At first I thought I'd left my tank top upstairs, but with a quick look I saw that I was dressed.

Their thoughts all hit me at once. Peter had seen the ascension changes before on others but none as drastic as this. He smiled, knowing why I looked different and looked proudly on me.

Caleb was in awe. In his mind I saw that he always thought I was gorgeous, but now I just seemed confident and a finished masterpiece. He hadn't been able to really see the extent of the changes because I'd been disheveled when he rescued me and the dream was rushed and crazy. I looked at him, too, and saw his differences as well, though his were more subtle. He had never been more handsome. He'd showered and changed clothes and I could see his tan arms flex as he shoved his hands into his jean pockets. I bit my lip at how good he looked.

Then he looked me over, head to toe, and started thinking about my legs and arms and plenty else. I blushed from my neck to my cheeks at the things he wanted to do and turned from him before it was obvious what Caleb was thinking to everyone else.

My dad was devastated and I'd been so wrapped up in the other thoughts to see it. To him, my life had been sped forward, years taken from, and he was looking at someone who was no longer a teenage girl, unsure and fragile and needy. I was someone who was grown up and called home to Dad on holidays and birthdays. Someone who didn't ask permission because she didn't need to anymore. She was sure of her future and taking the reins away from him completely, someone who didn't need nor want a father anymore.

I stepped to stand in front of him

"Dad, never. That'll never be me." I looked down at myself and shrugged. "This is just the ascension, just my looks. I'm still me, I haven't changed."

"But you have," he said softly and cupped my face with his hard callused hands. "You grew up while I was being an idiot." He smiled. "You're beautiful, inside and out. I'm so sorry if I ever made you doubt that."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. I was about to ruin the mascara I'd just put on if he didn't quit it. He released me and put an arm around my shoulder. He kissed my temple and started to explain what was in store for me.

They told me about the beach house and the flight. I didn't bother to tell them I knew all about it because I could read their thoughts. Caleb smirked at me from over the counter, reading me. He knew I was just letting our fathers seem like they were controlling and handling everything for us. They needed it so I didn't stop them.

"Now, I'll get you another cell phone this afternoon and you better keep it on you at all times," Dad explained again and I nodded. He looked at Peter. "Now, who did you get to go and watch out for them?"

"I have a few to ask at lunch today."

"We don't need a chaperone, Dad," I insisted.

"I'll be the judge of that."

My comeback was interrupted by the doorbell. Everyone looked around. We weren't expecting anyone but I heard thoughts of an anxious person who was worried. Then the door opened and I heard shouting.

"Dad! Dad, are you home?"

"Bish!" I yelled and took off toward the voice.

I turned the corner and my brother looked exactly as I remembered; big, beefy, tan, dark haired and smiling in confusion. "Bish! Oh, my goodness!"

"Maggie? I thought-" He grabbed me as I jumped to him and held me off the floor against him. "Dad called and said you'd been kidnapped." He put me down but didn't release his bear grip on me. "Was this some sick joke just to get me to come home?"