Significance - Chapter Twenty Seven

I'd known it was coming. I'd known he wouldn't just believe us but it still hurt to see his disappointment. He thought I was gullible and naïve. That I'd let them dupe me into believing this crazy scheme. He was scared for me. He was thinking that he needed to call the police again - for a restraining order this time. He was worried that they'd take me or I'd run away with them if he threw a fit so he tried to remain calm, for my sake.

"Think of something," I told him and winced again as he bombarded me. "Think one thing," I clarified quickly.

He sighed and pursed his lips, clearly not wanting to continue but humoring me, thinking he'd prove me wrong. He thought of the time he was teaching me to ride my bike and I crashed into the back of mom's car, scratching the bumper in the process, but I also scratched my forehead. I still had a scar on my hairline.

She had been worried about the car. He had been worried about me.

"You always worried about me," I said softly remembering everything. "We should have seen the signs about mom back then. We should have realized something was wrong with her, that she wasn't happy. What kind of mom cares more about her bumper than her kid?"

Dad's jaw fell open and he looked at me with bordering fright.

"It's ok, Dad."

He reigned in and his features were replaced with a flat expression. He never took his eyes from me. He lifted an eyebrow in contest and thought again some things to test me. He wasn't giving in that easy. His first thought...

What's my birthday?

"Dec 24th."

His eyes went wide, but he kept going.

What's the capital of Georgia?

"Atlanta."

His face got even more determined.

What's two plus two?"

"Six." His brow lifted higher. "I'm kidding dad. It's four."

Who's the thirty second president?

"Come on, Dad. I wouldn't know that answer even if you asked me out loud."

He covered his mouth and chin with his hand and continued to look at me. His eyes softened a little. I saw it happen before his thoughts hit me. He believed me. How could he not after that demonstration? But that didn't mean he was thrilled about it. He blamed Caleb for doing this to me.

"So, this is your fault?" His eyes left me for the first time in five minutes and he turned his gaze to Caleb. He scowled furiously. "You knew this would happen, that she'd be a freak and you did it anyway?"

"Dad," I said sharply and he looked back at me. "This isn't his fault, he had no control-"

"But he knew what he was. He shouldn't have ever touched you if that was the case. You don't belong to this life. You're not like them and now, you'll never be the same." He shook his head and in his mind he decided he wouldn't go quietly into the night about this. He was gonna let me have it. "And now, look at you. Following his lead and listening to every little sweet nothing he says just because you think you're stuck with him for life? Well, I'll figure something out, to break or stop this...this imprint thing. You don't have to be a freak against your will-"

"I'm going to stop you right there," I shouted. "Caleb and I imprinted. I know you were listening to Peter, I can see your thoughts, Dad, so don't act like now you didn't hear him. You know that we didn't choose this, it happened to us. It's not something you can control. My abilities didn't come until a couple days ago; they've had nothing to do with Caleb and I up until now. And I'm not a freak and neither are they."