Significance - Chapter Eleven

We parked in a huge garage and alongside six other vehicles. Six. I saw his truck that he referred to earlier. It was a black Dodge Ram extended cab. The rest of the cars were expensive and had model names that were letters and numbers and I had no idea what they were, but they looked nice.

He got off first this time and lifted me from the bike. He set me down in front of him and took off my helmet.

"I'll have to keep a steady supply of rubber bands here if we keep this up," I mused as I tried to tame my hair.

He laughed softly. "Well, you can keep anything here you want. I told you, you're welcome anytime. In fact, I'm not trying to scare you, but we have a spare bedroom with your name on it."

"What?"

"We have a couple of extra rooms with beds. Nothing special but anytime you want to crash here you're welcome to. My parents insisted I tell you that."

"Oh, ok. Thanks."

"I mean it. I mean, we still have a lot of things to talk about, but one of them needs to be what you're going to do when I go back to school; when I come home and to my apartment. I can't live at Kyle's forever."

I nodded and unzipped the jacket, putting it under the seat. "Yeah, I know."

And I did, I just had no idea what to do about it.

"Ok. Let's go see Dad." He took my hand and we walked towards the door. "You really are taking everything well, you know. I knew you would, but I was still a little worried."

"Do you want me to run for the door screaming? Because I can do that if you want."

He laughed loudly, his dimple winking, and grabbed me around my stomach. "No, I don't want that."

"Just checking."

"You really are kinda perfect," he mused quietly.

Oh, I wanted him to kiss me. I wanted him to badly. I didn't know why he hadn't yet, but I knew he wanted to from that little flash from his mind. So why was he stalling?

His expression told me he read my mind, but as he opened his mouth to say something we heard a voice over the intercom.

"Caleb, is that Maggie? What are you doing here? Is something wrong?" Peter said frantically in his deep timber voice.

"Of course it's Maggie, Dad. Who else would I be about to kiss in the garage?" he called out.

I bit my lip to keep the smile from breaking, but kept my composure at his admission. About to kiss!

"Well, bring her in!"

"Ok, I am!" He looked at me and smiled. "I think he likes you."

"I like him, too. All of your family is great, especially Gran."

"She's everyone's favorite."

"So, what do you think your dad will know about...this." I rubbed my arm where the handprint sat under the fabric. "Have you heard of this before?"

"Not me. Maybe he has. I'll warn you though," he stopped me and looked at me pointedly, "I'm not thinking this is a good thing. But whatever it is, we'll get through it, ok?"

"Ok."

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you," he assured.

"I know."

"Good." He started towing me again, through the garage doors, and into the house. I was jumped by a big furry blonde creature and slammed into Caleb's side. "Bella! Down!" He righted me and looked apologetic. "Sorry. She's still only a puppy. Still learning aren't you, girl. Bad girl," he said, but crooned it sweetly like it was an endearment.