Significance - Chapter Eighteen

"Caleb, you were so good. I didn't know you could play like that."

He hugged me around the middle and grinned. "Believe it or not, there are still a few things you don't know about me."

"Oh, there's lots I don't know." I linked my arms around his neck. "Favorite color, favorite food, favorite band, favorite movie. Were you a band geek or a jock in high school?"

He smirked. "Would it matter if I was a band geek?"

"Absolutely not."

"Well, I was little of both, I guess. I played the drums and bass in the school jazz band and was also wide receiver on the football team."

"Wow," I sighed.

"What?" he laughed.

"You're just good at everything, aren't you?" He laughed again, but I kept going as I tugged him under the tree to get out of the sun. "We have guitar, piano, drums, bass, and I know I saw a trumpet on your wall, though I didn't see you actually play it, then football, swimming, geometry, motorcycles. I mean you are a serious overachiever," I joked as I leaned my back against the tree.

He shrugged and came closer, invading my space in a way that I wanted.

"What can I say? I've had a lot of spare time...waiting for you."

My heart skidded and now that I knew he felt every movement of it, I watched his face and saw him register it. His lips turned up slightly on the sides.

"Good answer. Add flattery to that list," I stammered as I stared at him, that dimple making me want to touch it.

He laughed again and shook his head. "You are the funniest person I've ever met."

"And you're the sweetest."

"I'm not that sweet," he insisted.

"You're honey bun sweet," I said with an accent as sweet as syrup.

"Oooh." He raised his eyebrows in mock seriousness. "That's like the ultimate compliment."

"Yeah, pretty much," I said grinning.

I glanced around and saw that we were once again under the microscope of his family as they sat, played horseshoes and talked, trying to look like they weren't watching us.

Then I heard Marvin Gaye blaring through the garden. Caleb scoffed and looked over with a raised brow at someone, I followed his line of sight to a guy I hadn't talked to yet. He saluted and winked at Caleb, grinning like a fool and I heard a lot of laughter floating around us. I realized he was using his ability somehow because the music seemed to be right in our ears, everywhere. He was trying to be funny.

It was pretty funny, though it made me blush. So, I started back on topic.

"So, what about tonight? I have to go home at some point."

"I know. I'll just come to your room again, though I wish I could keep you here. Maybe you can say you're spending the night with your friend or something."

My phone dinged with a message.

I can't believe you haven't called or texted me! I need details on you and college boy. Is he as dreamy as he looks? How was the kiss? You did kiss him didn't you? You better have! Come stay with me tonight. Pizza on me.

"Or." I had an idea and wanted to laugh at Beck's timing. "I could actually spend the night with my friend. I have barely seen Beck at all lately and she's leaving for Southern Cal U in a couple weeks. I know it sucks us not being together but it's not my house at least, Marcus wouldn't know to look for me there and I can leave first thing and come straight here to see you."