Significance - Chapter Twenty Two

"Vic, come on. We only talked like three times," Caleb said and I could feel his embarrassment and also his glee about this guy liking me.

This was his best friend, the friend he mentioned that day. He had an over pronounced southern accent that was very cute. His hair was short and he had an earring in one ear. His sunglasses were hanging from his polo shirt collar and he wasn't wearing shoes.

"Yeah, and it was all about this girl, right here." He shook his head, pointing at me above my head and laughed. "I've been Caleb's friend for ten years and I've never seen him with a girl, not once. Not even prom, he just skipped it. The guy's a monk."

I laughed as Caleb rolled his eyes and rubbed his chin. "I know. He kinda told me all about it."

"Well, come on, Maggie. Let's get you a very non-alcoholic beverage."

He put an arm around my shoulder and pulled me with him, Caleb trailing behind us. We came to a big flat rock where it seemed all the food and drinks were set up. He handed me an unopened can of soda.

"Want something to eat? We've got shrimp, oysters, ribs, chips-"

"Nah, I'm ok. We just ate, but thanks."

Vic looked me over in a very objective manner with his chin between his thumb and forefinger.

"Caleb. I have to say you did good, brother. She's sweet, she's polite, she's southern, cute. I approve. You two can continue to date."

"Thanks, man," Caleb said with fake sincerity.

"So where did ya'll eat?"

"Mugly's."

"Oh!" he shouted and laughed. "Caleb's pulling out the big guns!"

We all laughed and went to sit around the fire. There wasn't much room because that's where most of the people were. I kept looking for Beck, but hadn't seen her or Ralph since we got there. I imagined her pulling him behind a tree and doing who knows what, that thought made me want to gag and giggle at the same time.

So we sat down and Caleb put me in between them on the log. He kept looking around protectively which made me wonder what he was looking for.

"So, where's Molly?" Caleb asked.

"She's here somewhere. Probably with Ashley which means she probably won't come over here."

"We've already run into Ashley actually," Caleb explained and his voice got harder. "She's in rare form tonight."

"You know how she is, man. She ain't gonna change, unless maybe you asked her to. Then, I bet she'd wear purple hats with green shorts and call herself Sally."

"Dude," Caleb laughed, "you need help."

"Yeah. So, Maggie, what's the plan for school? Caleb talked you into Tennessee yet?" Vic asked me while he loaded up a marshmallow on a palmetto stick to roast.

"He has," I said. "I'm really looking forward to it."

"He must have some serious skills to get you to come to our school after only a week," he mused and stuffed the mallow in his mouth. His next words were muffled, making it even funnier. "Must be the hair. Girls go nuts over that hair."

"It is good hair," I agreed and Caleb covered his face beside me making Vic laugh.

"Great. Now you've joined his side," Caleb groaned. "He'll talk you into anything."

"Have you met his parents yet? I haven't even met his parents," Vic grumbled. "Even though the guy has been to my swimming pool in my back yard a million times, I've never set foot in this guy's house. His parents are like super secretive or something."