Unspoken love

BPOV:

I lay on my back in the grass, staring up at the night sky. You could see the stars from here and I marveled at the numbers. Thousands of tiny silver lights peppered the giant expanse of blue and a light breeze swept through the meadow. Edward was next to me, his fingers intertwining with mine. We were silent, but it was nothing like before. This time, the silence was peaceful and pleasant. Our passivity was broken only by a soft kiss, a murmured 'I love you', a light sigh.

I twisted until I was on my side facing him, my head resting on my arm. There was barely an inch of space between us and his cool breath caressed my face. I could still taste him on my lips but I resisted the urge to kiss him again.

"You never told me," I murmured, trailing a finger down his nose.

"What?" He replied, kissing my finger as it rested on his bottom lip.

"Why you felt like you had to distance yourself from me."

He smiled gently. "Yes I did," He toyed with a lock of my hair. "Because I love you." I must have looked confused, because he went on to explain. "All this time I've loved you," He started and my heart warmed at that very first sentence. "But after what you've been through, I wasn't sure if you could love again. I mean, after what happened last time…" He trailed off as his brilliant green eyes darkened as we both remembered Jacob Black. "Whenever I'm around you, whenever I'm near you, it's so hard not to try to get closer, to put my arms around your waist, draw you close, to kiss you, make you mine." He leaned closer and his mouth actually brushed mine. The ghost of a kiss. "It became unbearable; I didn't want to ruin what we already had and if I trusted myself around you, I thought I would. So I left you. I told myself it was the best thing to do and I barely let myself speak to you. It tore me up inside, so I tried to tell you what I was feeling without words."

I was confused again and my brows drew together as I frowned. "You did?"

He grinned crookedly. "I sent you flowers."

"I know." I tilted my head to the side, in sudden realization. "They meant something, didn't they?"

"Did you look it up?" He asked me.

"No…"

His grin turned sly. "Look it up."

I sat up. "Okay, Mr. Smart-ass."

He sat up with me, grinning widely. "You love me,"

"It took me a while to figure it out, but yes, I really do." My heart was pounding as he stared into my eyes and my face and neck flushed with heat. He leaned towards me, but I couldn't move, frozen as I was in his gaze. His lips touched mine with the gentlest of pressure and I wound my arms around his neck, going limp as I leaned my head back and he kissed my throat. My pulse was racing, a fact that he registered. His nose skimmed my across my neck as he turned his head to the side and pressed his ear to my chest. To my heart.

"Your heart is beating extremely fast," He observed.

"It's you. You do this to me," I said, breathlessly. The wind went through his hair, making the reddish gold dance in front of me. He still listened to my heart as I drifted back down to lie on the grass with his head on my chest. I ran my hands through his hair before knotting my fingers around the thick wavy locks as he buried his face in my throat, and held him there, prisoner. My skin burned where he kissed. Slow, leisurely kisses. Trailing across my throat, just under the edge of my jaw, kissing the corner of my mouth, teasing me, but always returning to the hollow where my heart beat erratically.

Look it up. That was what he had said. I was at home, hours later, at my computer in my room looking up flower meanings. I tried to remember what he had given me.