Chapter 23 The One Eyed Wolf

"Tamer," Xavier spat. "Winter wanted to go fight him until you went and stopped her." The edge in his voice sharpened and his eyes narrowed with a condescending sneer. "'I don't want to kill another father?' Don't make me laugh." A buzzing and crackling sound carried over the wind as electricity zapped at his ankles. Winter could feel it snap at her skin as Xavier's hair blasted off his face in the velocity of the imminent shift. "He was never your Father and you know it."

Tamer's expression was stony. "From the sounds of things, you were the same," he replied coldly.

Xavier's upper lip twitched. "I thought you of all people would understand," he growled, fist balling. "You were the one who experienced all this because of him. Of all people, you were the one I thought would take him down."

Tamer's eyes were so focused, Winter was yet to see him blink.

"Don't tell me," Xavier hissed, eyes seething with amber light. "Do you still hold out hope that he'll be your Father? Did someone tell you you were wanted? That a being like that could be reasoned with?"

Tamer's expression darkened. Winter gulped; lightning was coiling around her legs hotter by the minute. The throbbing pulse of her heart sent blood roaring through her eardrums. She could almost taste Tamer's anger – his blood lust – prickling over her skin from their now shared emotions.

"Tamer!" Xavier's voice rumbled with a demonic sounding distortion as something bestial overcame him. White light flashed in her iris as Xavier's form was emblazoned with it; a great black mass clawed open his chest and the human form faded away as an empty shell of light. "You're more like your damn dad than Red!" he roared, thundering after Tamer in wolf form.

Tamer's shift bleached the forest like lightning had struck. He threw the bow up in the air. Catching it between wolven jaws, he began bolting in the other direction.

"Tamer?" Winter shrieked, her skirt flapping at her thighs as Xavier raced past her.

"I'm putting some distance between us so I can try to shoot him with the silver – I'm not going far! Follow me!" he shouted.

Winter ran. Xavier's hindlegs began to shrink into the distance before her. Even further ahead, she could catch a white blur zipping between the trees before fading into the fog onto the horizon.

"Alright, run off to your right!"

Winter panted, sprinting off into the side trail.

"You far off his path?" Tamer asked.

"Yes?" Winter responded, hand strangling the sheath of her sword as she withdrew it.

"All right!"

She could hear the sound of something being torn from the earth. The ground rumbled as something enormous thundered towards them. An entire tree was racing in their direction; Xavier was forced to skirt off to the far left before accelerating once again.

"Where is he headed?" Tamer demanded.

Winter's eyes flashed with a silver hue as she twisted her neck, revealing Xavier's current position to Tamer with their telepathic link.

"To your left!"

Tamer ripped out another one and threw it at him. Xavier was too close to dodge. The mass of wood came smashing into his legs and caused him to tumble. He was fast in composing himself, however; Tamer grabbed his bow and took aim. She caught a flash of Tamer's perspective – the wolf bounded towards him with its fangs bore, dashing out of the arrow's aim like a dark ribbon.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Tamer bellowed, sprinting in the opposite direction.

The beast's jaws closed in on his coat tails. Bounding forward, Tamer was forced to discard it. The beast shook it away from his eyes. Tamer the cover to make a narrow escape.