Chapter 19 Mariah (NSFW)

A void formed in Red's stomach. Like a disease it spread until he was consumed by an emptiness like a solar eclipse. While his blood boiled at thoughts of evil, the evil inside him began to stir. Something roused beneath his flesh; something sharp and ultra-fine, like rows of needles prickling through his back. Pain struck and, beneath his shoulders, his feathers started to churn, writhing and feasting like a colony of ants.

A god's wings needed human sacrifices to flourish. With nothing to feed on, his god side began to cannibalise him from the inside out, both his flesh and soul on the menu.

Once the wings started breaking free, it did not take long for his mind to start to scramble. He broke into a run, not sure where he was going, just that he had to eat right now. If he allowed himself to go on like this then...

He stumbled and grabbed onto a tree. A static sound slithered into his ears. His nails dug into the bark like it a lifeline; the wood shattered between fingertips as the animal inside began to burrowing it's way out his flesh. The image of her smiling face faded in his mind. Frustrated tears burned in his eyes as he repeated her name over and over, trying to remember something other than her... than her...

...Sensational taste.

His mouth watered. Fangs burst through his gums. He began to swagger like a zombie. The hot, sticky liquid blossoming on his back was distracting. Painfully sweet-smelling. He couldn't control himself; the fact that it was his own blood was lost to him. It felt as though if he didn't taste blood right this minute, he'd explode. Chest heaving, he raised his arm to his lips.

The sound of a scream stopped him just before he sank his fangs into his flesh.

He channeled the sound with a tilt of his head. The haze in his mind began to clear. Food. His heart hummed with such excitement it felt as though it might pulverise his ribcage.

Forest turned into gravel as he walked. He felt clumsy due to his body shaking, but it appeared to not alert the human's ears. He darkened his aura so he could peep past the grimy wall, and his pulse quickened at the sight of prey.

"You dumb bitch, you're going to get us both arrested!" a gruff sounding man growled.

"Then money first," the woman hissed. Her voice wasn't as fearful sounding as one might expect from her previous scream, perhaps just an alarm to frighten him? She was against the wall but she didn't seem particularly scared; her glare just scalded him like boiling water.

The man's yellowing teeth bared. "I told you, I'll pay you after!"

"I'm warning you, pay up or fuck off!" she spat.

Red scowled. The finer details of his vision blurred, but the sight of their aura's - the light of their souls - flared. He used this detail to pick his target. The darkness of his aura said the man was a bad person. But the woman's aura was even darker, a murky haze like swamp water. His eyes darted between them, trying to figure out what was the correct one to kill. A dark soul like these two... they tasted so good. Like eating junk food.

There was the sound of steel being desheathed. A flash of silver in the night. It glistened against a golden hue -- the woman's hair was a really familiar shade of gold.

Red froze as a familiar face flashed in his mind.

The man hovered the blade to her throat. Glowing yellow light collected in Red's eyes as his teeth bared.

"You're just a shitty fucking whore," growled the man. The silver blade edged in closer; Red felt a great amount of pain sear in his back. "Who would pay for you?"

The act before him spurred him into action. Red growled. The man turned, rearing his knife, but froze instantly, the sound of his breath stolen from his lips.