Day 2

There was a knock on my door the next morning. It must have been a while since the first time they knocked because they were knocking really hard on the metal door locking me in. I sighed and sat up in my bed, pushing my long brown hair out of my face with my hand. "What the Hell do you want now?"

"Caroline?" A somewhat familiar voice said. "It's me, John."

"Good God," I cursed. "What do you want?"

"It's day number two. I was wondering if you would like to tell the story in your room today?"

I stood up and walked over to the metal door. I opened the eye slit and startled John. "Let's just go back to your office. It stinks in here."

"It... stinks?"

"Yeah. I'll be ready in a minute or two. Just wait in your office."

I shut the slit and walked to the closet. I grabbed a clean orange uniform and slipped into it. I checked the number tag and saw my personal code: 000581. Prisoner 581. Perfect. I walked to the door and knocked three times. The door unlocked and the armed guards slipped on the cuffs onto my wrists. Once the handcuffs were on, the two guards held my arms and walked me to John's office. Once I was standing outside of the door, they took the cuffs off and pushed me inside before shutting the door behind me.

"Do they always treat you like that?" John asked as he opened his laptop.

"Just today." I replied. I sat down in the couch and sighed. "So I need to tell you about day two?"

"To the best of your memory," John said as he double clicked on the mouse pad.

I nodded and closed my eyes. "I woke up to the smell of eggs and bacon the next morning..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I opened my eyes, he was standing beside my bed, holding a plate with bacon, eggs, and buttered toast. It smelled good and looked really good.

"Good morning," he said. "I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. My name is Phillip, Phillip Recker."

I yawned. "I'm Caroline Tricker. Did you really make me breakfast?"

"Of course. I told you I was going to make it up to you later, didn't I?"

I rubbed my head as I tried to shake off the groggy feeling left over from last night. "I don't know."

Phillip set the plate down on my lap and handed me a fork. "I haven't cooked since I was alive so I don't know if it's good or not."

I scooped up a bit of the eggs and took a bite. It was a lot better than I had expected. "What did you put in the eggs?" I asked as I took another bite.

"I mixed in milk and mayonnaise with the eggs. I always made eggs that way." Phillip still looked nervous. I was wondering how such a good cook could ever be nervous about his own cooking.

"Did you cook for a living?" I took a bite of the bacon and tasted the honey glazed strip. The flavor exploded in my mouth and made me feel like I was melting. "This is really good."

Phillip perked up a little bit and gave a soft smile. "I'm glad you like it. My parents were never home in time for meals so I taught myself how to cook by watching cooking shows and reading cook books."

I took a bite of the toast and nodded in satisfaction. "As long as you cook like this, I won't mind if you stayed forever."

"Thank you. I'll make sure my food is always good for you as well."