Epilogue

a brief glance into the future

"Okay, pun of the week...go!" I start, pointing to the man on my left.

Matt clears his throat dramatically. "Name two sources of water." Pause. "Well, damn!"

I laugh, looking towards Peter who sits on the patio chair with his hands tightly gripping the armrests. He's smiling at Matt's goofy pun, his eyes aimed at the brick ground.

"Oh, look!" I exclaim and pull out my phone, wanting to keep the positive vibes flowing. "Hayden had his first day of kindergarten yesterday!"

Peter leans forward in his seat to see the photo. A small smile forms on his face as he looks at his little brother.

"Ali wanted to be there so badly. She actually forced her mom into letting her go in late to her last first day of middle school."

"Last first day of middle school?" Peter repeats in amusement. "She sure is growing up."

His smile falters as he thinks about Ali and all he has missed in her life. I know it must be hard, secluded from everyone and everything in your life.

"She wants to visit you," I say. "I'm thinking maybe I'll bring her and Hayden next week. What do you think about that?"

His eyes meet mine, full of hopefulness and content. "I would definitely enjoy that."

I nod. "Matt, what do you think about bringing Rowen that day too? Peter would adore her."

"Well, it might be a little difficult since she's just a baby," Matt says. "However, if Peter really wants to meet Rowen, I'd love to bring my little girl."

"Who's Rowen?" Peter asks in confusion.

Matt looks at me with a goofy grin before turning back to Peter. "Our daughter."

Peter raises his eyebrows a little. "You-you two..I..I had no idea. I'm sorry for not knowing..I-"

"Relax, Peter," I laugh lightly. "She's our dog. No children yet."

"Yet," Matt repeats and sends a wink towards Peter.

Peter smiles, shifting in his seat a little. It's something he does when he's nervous or excited. In this case, I'd say it's a little bit of both.

I've talked to him about my relationship with Matt before. The two of us have been dating for almost four years now. We moved in together, bought a puppy, and are thinking about marriage.

I am in love with Matt.

Originally, I just thought of him as a friend. He had been in love with me ever since my first year of college; I was just too blind to see it. I wouldn't be able to tell you the exact moment when I knew I was in love, but I am certain now.

He understands that a part of my heart is with Peter, as it always will be. I mean, he's the one who first suggested I visited him when he was moved to the mental institution. He comes with me to all of the visits, knowing I'll be emotional afterwards. His support is what brought me back to happiness.

Peter and Matt became very close over the two years Peter has been at Waldron's hospital. They have a lot in common, both into photography and cheesy puns.

When I asked Peter how he felt about my relationship with Matt, he told me all that matters is that I'm happy. I told him I was, and he responded with, "then I am too."

We're twenty-five now. I'm not exactly ready to jump into a marriage or anything with Matt, but I definitely am thinking about it. I like taking things slow, and Matt is on the same page. We've both experienced loss, so it's harder for us to open up immediately.