Ch. 14 - Stay Alive

Chapter 14

I never thought the day would come where Peter Watson and I danced to Flo Rida together. And what's even more surprising is that Peter can really dance (but he'd disagree with me on that).

Needless to say, it's attractive.

"What's that move called?" he asks, his smile huge as he laughs at me.

I let go of my ankle and drop my foot to the ground. "I call it the State of Grace."

"Have you guys seen Scarlett?" Miles approaches us, looking effortlessly stunning as always. "I want to thank her for this unnecessary party."

"Hey, I helped too," Peter says. "I don't get a thanks?"

"I know you well enough to know that all you did was put up that duct-tape to block off the upstairs area."

Peter shrugs, not denying the obvious. "I also invited Grace.."

"And my mom," I add.

"Wouldn't have been a party without Grace.. and her mom," Miles laughs. "Just one question.. why would you invite the woman Scarlett is hiding from?"

"Long story."

Miles nods and messes with Peter's hair. "Thanks for the party, bud. And thank you, Grace, for taking care of this one."

He walks off to some of his friends, though it was weird to think that he actually has friends other than Scarlett and Peter.

"Did you really block the upstairs with duct-tape?"

"It had to be done, Grace." He closes his eyes in deep thought. "It had to be done."

I laugh and take both his hands in mine to swing to the beat of the song. After a a minute or two, Peter decides that we've had enough dancing and walks us to the kitchen.

When he goes to open a cabinet, my lovely sister scares the living shit out of us as she has smushed herself into the small cabinet. "Hi!"

"What the hell are you doing in our pantry?" Peter exasperates, his hand on his heart.

"Hiding," she answers. "You honestly think I'd stay away from food that long?"

Peter shakes his head in laughter. "Just go upstairs."

"I would've, if you hadn't blocked it!"

"I had to!" he defends dramatically.

She sighs. "I just wish I could be dancing with all of Miles's hot friends."

"So do I, but not all wishes can come true, Scar," Peter says.

"Help me out of this pantry so you can help me upstairs and I can hide in Miles's room."

"Got it, boss."

Scarlett, with very little of Peter's help, manages to get out of the cabinet and on to the floor. She rushes us to the stairs in fear of my mom, screaming at Peter as he rips the duct-tape on.

"You guys go upstairs. I have to fix the tape," Peter explains.

Scarlett and I go upstairs. I follow her into what appears to be Miles's room. His suitcase is on his bed and open with all of his clothes still inside.

"So, little sis," Scarlett starts, "I saw the way you were looking at Peter. Care to explain?"

"What?" I take a seat on the bed. "There's nothing to explain. I look at him the same as I look at you and every other person on this planet." I pause. "Except for Leonardo DiCaprio. Damn."