Ch. 24 - Mistletoe

the luckiest // Ben Folds

oh and ps check out Where We Belong because I love it and it's perfect for after reading this because you'll be all sad and it'll be all cheery so go read it!

"Get up. We're going to the party."

I lift my head from under the covers, looking at Scarlett. "What party?"

"The Christmas party Clayton was talking about! I love parties. We're going."

Today is the start of winter break, so Braden is throwing the Christmas party. It was the only thing he has been talking about for months. I want to go, considering how excited Braden is about it and all. But there's a problem.

"Peter is going to be there," I groan. "He made it very clear he does not want to see me."

"Peter's stupid." Scarlett tugs on my hand. "Boys are stupid in general."

"Is this about Miles? Did your date not go to plan?" I challenge.

She glares at me. "Just shut up, Grace. I'll just go to your friend's party by myself."

I raise my eyebrows, her tone shocking me a bit. "Damn, what happened?"

"Nothing happened. That's what. Nothing," she mumbles, clearly annoyed and frustrated all together.

I form my mouth in an 'o' shape. Honestly, I'm quite disappointed their date didn't go too well.

I'll have to talk to Miles about that.

Scarlett practically dresses me like her own doll, in the green dress she wore last year. She curls my hair and does my makeup. I don't even have time to compose myself, for Scarlett is rushing us downstairs and to the car.

I decide not to argue anymore. Her date with Miles must've been disastrous if she's acting like this. But sadly I can't ask her about that either, for she'll act just as insane.

So, we drive to Braden's house in silence while listening to Christmas music.

There are a lot of cars parked outside of his house, so we have to park almost far away. Scarlett doesn't seem to care that my boot shouldn't be in the snow, but I don't really think she cares about anything right now.

"I'm getting drunk. You're driving home," she says bossily and hands me the keys.

I follow behind her slowly, not thrilled to go to this party. Peter will probably make me cry by just being himself. I don't want to cry in front of my friends.

"Grace!" Braden squeals and gives me a huge hug. "You look so hot! Is Peter with you?"

I shake my head. "We're not on them best of terms right now."

Braden pouts his lip. "Oh, I'm sorry. I set up mistletoe all over just for my favorite couple!"

"We're your favorite couple?"

"Duh," he says sassily. "So, y'all need some damn mistletoe."

I laugh. "I agree. Tell me if you see him."

He salutes me before walking over to a very attractive man. I hope he has some mistletoe as well.

I find Emerson. She's with her friend Trent. We just sit around talking and eating.

My stomach is still unsettled. I can't think of anything but Peter. He might not even show up, if he's feeling the same way as I am.

"Hey, Grace," Aaron says, joining the three of us at the table.