Chapter 16: Audriana Michelle Brooks

~One Year Later~

(AUDRI’S POV)

“CHRIS! Come here!” I yelled from inside the room upstairs.

I had dropped Naima’s teddy bear on the floor, and couldn’t reach down to pick it up. Chris rushed into the room and saw me struggling to get it and helped me.

“What did I tell you about being in this room,” he said to me as if I was a child, “This room is for the baby…and since he’s not here yet, there’s no need to come in here all the time.”

I sighed, “I know, I just can’t wait for our little boy to finally get here. These last two months need hurry up!”

I looked at the baby room Chris and I decorated over the past week. It was painted baby blue, and Chris volunteered to sketch little baby animals on the wall to give it a zoo theme. It was too cute. I found myself in the nursery  about four times a day, still in shock that I was pregnant again, and I’d be having a little baby boy soon. It was so surreal.

He laughed and kissed my cheek, “Be patient babe. Now…Mariah and Robert are downstairs to pick Naima up and they want to say hi before they leave.”

We walked downstairs, and I saw Mariah and her boyfriend Robert sitting on the couch listening to Darius and Naima talk about cartoons.

“Hey Mariah and Robert,” I said once I got to the last step.

They turned around and saw me and stood up to greet me, “Hey Audri. Wow! You’re getting big!”

I laughed and hugged the both of them, “Yeah, I can’t wait for these last two months to fly by. Time is just going so slow.”

“I know how you feel. When I was pregnant with Darius, it seemed like I had been pregnant for a YEAR. Time did seem to go by slow.”

“So what’s the plan for you guys this weekend?” Chris asked.

Robert spoke, “We’re just gonna take Darius and Naima to Disney land and then go to the aquarium on Sunday and maybe the zoo. It should be fun.”

“Robert has been talking about this weekend for the past two weeks. He’s like a little kid when it comes to Disney Land,” Mariah said which made us all laugh.

I looked at Robert and noticed his face turn bright red. He rubbed his hand through his curly blonde hair waiting for everyone to finish laughing at him.

“Well, we should get going,” Robert said after a while motioning Mariah to head towards the door.

“Alright, drive safe!” I said as they walked to the door.

Naima ran up to Chris and gave him a big hug, “Bye Daddy!”

He hugged her and kissed her cheek, “Bye Nai. Have fun and behave.”

“I will,” she replied and then walked over to me, “Bye Mommy!”

“Bye sweetie. Enjoy yourself, but don’t have too much fun without me!” I knelt down as much as I could and kissed her forehead.

“And bye, Jr.” Nai placed her hand on my belly and kissed it saying goodbye to her soon-to-be little brother, and that was the cutest moment I had ever seen.

I could tell she was going to be a good big sister.

They all left and the house was finally quiet.

Over this past year, Mariah and Chris built their friendship back to the way it was and have been getting along for some time. She finally realized that they weren’t meant to be together, and started dating Robert, a former football player for Spain, that she met a few months ago. We’ve gotten really close recently, and I could now consider her one of my friends which is a good thing because I don’t have many people in my life I could call a friend.