Chapter 14: For A While

(CHRIS’ POV)

I had been patiently waiting for Audri to meet me at the restaurant we met at before. It was a quiet, sunny afternoon and not many people were out. Naima was holding onto my hand eating a chocolate ice cream cone, and we had been standing there for almost ten minutes. Today was the day I wanted Audri to meet Naima and she was running a little late.

“What are we waiting for daddy?” Naima asked annoyed.

“I told you it’s a surprise. Just be patient,” I replied and hoped Audri would show up soon.

Within minutes, I turned to my left and noticed Audri approaching us. She had on a yellow long sleeve fitting dress that came down to her mid thighs and fit her perfectly. She saw us standing there, and when she noticed Naima, she stopped in her tracks.

She placed her hands over her mouth in shock and slowly walked towards us. I watched as she eyed Naima astonished at how much she’s grown since she last saw her almost six years ago.

“Hey baby,” I said and wrapped my arms around Audri, because I knew if I didn’t say anything she’d just stand there in shock the whole time.

I let go and then looked down at Nai who was nonchalantly eating her ice-cream cone not realizing her mother was standing right in front of her.

I picked her up, “Nai…remember when I said I had a surprise for you?”

She nodded and licked more of the ice-cream off the cone.

“Well, this is your surprise. I want you to meet someone,” I smiled and looked to Audri which made Nai look at her too, “This is Audri…your mother.”

A confused look came across her face, “My mom?”

I put her down and then stooped to her level to talk to her face to face, “Yes. I know this a little confusing, baby. But… you know how we thought your mommy died? Well… it turns out she didn’t. She just had to go away for a VERY long time…but now she’s back and she couldn’t wait to finally meet you.”

Naima turned around to look up at Audri who was still speechlessly bawling into her hands. I didn’t know she’d be this emotional to finally meet Naima.

“Mommy?” Naima slowly walked up to her.

“Come here baby,” Audri said and knelt down before holding her arms out to Nai.

Surprisingly, not even a second passed before Naima clasped onto Audri and they shared a moment.

She hugged her tight, and I could feel their happiness. Audri picked Naima up and spun her around. This was the sweetest moment I had ever seen, and hoped for it to last forever.

“Mommy,” I was surprised to see Naima even start crying a little from the excitement.

“Yes baby. You look so beautiful. I can’t believe you’re all grown up!” Audri put her hand on Naima’s face in shock as tears flowed from her eyes.

Nai cheered and started hopping up and down in excitement, “Now we can be a family!”

“Yes, sweetie,” Audri grabbed her and hugged her again, “We can finally be a family.”

I watched as more tears poured from Audri’s eyes. She hugged her once again and all three of us just took in the beautiful moment.

“Look Naima, I have something to show you,” Audri said and reached into her purse.

She took out a picture and it was from the day Naima was born. Audri was in the hospital bed holding Naima, and I held onto the both of them while Audri’s mother captured the moment with her camera. That was the happiest day of my life, and a day I would always remember forever.