Chapter 10: I Knew It

(CHRIS’ POV)

Weeks went by and Mariah had earned enough money to pay for the private investigator. It only took him two days to find a girl that might be her daughter and she lives right here in LA surprisingly. He gave her the information to contact her, and Mariah thought for a moment contemplating whether or not she wanted to actually do it.

“I don’t know if I'm ready to do this, Chris,” Mariah said.

We were sitting in her house by the phone, and I tried to convince her to pick it up and dial the number to contact her daughter.

After negotiating for a while, she finally did it.

“Hello, may I please speak to an Ava Romero,” she said.

The phone was on speaker so I could hear the conversation, “This is Ava. Who’s speaking?”

Mariah took a deep breath, “Hi Ava. Well… I don’t know exactly how to say this, but my name is Mariah Athens and, I’m……your birth mother.”

There was silence for a while. Ava didn’t say anything.

“Listen, Ava. I know this is a lot for you to take in, and I hate that I’m the one to tell you that you’re adopted, but—”

Ava cut her off, “Oh no, I know I’m adopted. I’m just speechless right now. I’ve spent YEARS searching for my birth mother and….” it sounded like she wanted to cry.

“I know,” Mariah replied, “I don’t want to have my first conversation with you over the phone, so is there a place we can meet up…possibly sometime soon? I have proof that I am your mother by the way, and I can show you in person.”

“Uh, sure. Would you be okay with coming to my house sometime soon…like tomorrow? Is tomorrow alright?”

They agreed to meet up at Ava’s house, and Mariah got the address. Things were moving so fast. I hoped Mariah was making the right decision to meet her. What if she wasn’t what she expected?

(MARIAH’S POV)

Chris and I drove to Ava’s house along with Darius and Naima that next day. I wanted Darius to meet his sister even though she’s eleven years older than him and he grew up thinking he was an only child.

We pulled up to the estate, and I couldn’t believe how big her house was. It was bigger than any house I had ever seen in my life.

“Wow, the parents that adopted her must be loaded,” Chris said to me as we unbuckled the kids’ seatbelts before walking up to the doorstep.

I looked around and saw a tennis court, a HUGE pool, and a basketball court. I already felt like an outsider.

Chris knocked on the door and within seconds a tall girl (about 5’9”) stood in front of us. She had long black curly hair and had a tan skin complexion. She almost reminded me of a younger and lighter-toned version of Raven Symoné. When I looked closely at her, I could tell that she was 100% my daughter and was flooded with a rush of mixed feelings that I began crying.

She must’ve felt those same feelings too, because tears began welling up in her eyes as well.

“Ava,” I said not knowing what to say next.

She pulled me in for a hug, and finally led us inside the house.

“I can’t believe it’s really you,” she said and hugged me again.

“I know. I’ve dreamt of this moment for years. You’re even more beautiful than I would’ve ever imagined,” I replied.

There was a moment of silence as we both stood in awe of each other.