Chapter 7: "We were supposed to turn there"

The next day Maya called. She told me that fittings were today and that she’d text me the directions. Maya seemed like a really nice lady, but I was pretty sure that she was making a huge mistake by choosing me to model for Fashion Week. That was huge and I’m not even sure if I can walk in high heels especially down a runway.

Hours passed and each time I think about calling Maya and telling her that I can’t do it, but every time I lose all my courage and then remember that me and Cory need the money so I force myself to do it.

Luke promised that he would watch Cory today so Calum and Michael volunteered to take me to the fitting. I sat in the front with Calum, who was driving and Michael sat in the back. Calum had the radio on. We were driving down a long road in Sydney and the turn hadn’t come yet.

I looked down at my phone at the text. “Oops dammit, Calum we were supposed to turn there.”

Calum made a U-turn and turned back to where I said. “There!” I exclaimed. The car slid to a stop and Calum dropped me off in front. “Thanks for driving me Calum.”

Michael coughed.

“And Michael.” I giggled, “I’ll call you later.”

“Okay, see ya later Alana.” Calum said driving off.

I walked into the large building and was taken aback by the amount of clothes. There were dresses, shoes, blouses, and pants everywhere. There was some kind of upbeat music playing and models walking around and changing every place your eyes looked.

“Alana!”

I turned around looking for the person who called my name. I was greeted by Maya who looked stressed. “We need to measure you.” She said as she herded me to a station. First they measured my height. “You were wrong, you’re 5’8. That’ll have to do.” Maya told me.

Next they weighed me. The scale showed 108lbs and Maya wrote it down on here clip board. Next they took my chest, waist, and hip measurements.  My chest was 33 inches, 24” waist, and 34” hips. “You’re perfect!” Maya squealed.

I was feeling a bit better about the whole thing, but I was still nervous especially once they start putting clothes on my body.

“Let’s do hair and makeup now.” Maya said leading me to a black leather chair. She sat in the chair next to me and took a long breath. “Alejandro, I have a new client for you.” Maya called.

I man with long chin length black hair and a small goatee on his chin approached us. He had a piercing through his right eyebrow. “Isn’t she something!” Alejandro exclaimed.

I don’t know why I was so surprised. Was I actually expecting him to be strait? “I’m Alejandro.” He held out a hand and I shook it.

“I’m Alana.”

He got to work on my hair right away. He wet it down with a spray bottle and then combed it though. “So Alana,” Maya said, “you’ll be getting paid quite a lot of money for this show. It’s not like we can just hand it to you… Do you have a bank account we can put it in?”

I shook my head no. “Well then we’ll make you one!”

I just smiled. Why were these people being so nice to me?

“Maya, what do you think we should do about her hair?”

She took a good look at me. “I think it looks fine.” She said.

Alejandro gave her a bored look. “Sweetheart, this is the Sydney Fashion Week! We have to do something! She might get the chance to be signed with IMG Models!”

Maya sighed. “You’re right. Do whatever you like.”

“So are you my manager now?” I asked Maya.

“Just for this week.” She replied as she typed something in on her phone.

“Do you work for… IMG Models?”

“You got it. I’m a scout.”

As Alejandro started applying a sort of paste to my hair, I looked around at my surroundings. The upbeat music was still playing and the models were still running around in their white robes, but the place looked much more relaxed than when I first got here. It was a large building just to try on a few pieces of clothes. “After Alejandro does your makeup, you’re going to try on some clothes and we need to take a few headshots—“ Maya stopped mid-sentence. “Oh God, he’s coming!” she exclaimed quietly.  

“Who?” I asked.

“Michael J. Dolan, the CEO of IMG Models and our boss.” Alejandro told me.

The CEO approached.

“Maya, is this the new model you were telling me about?” Michael said lifting my chin to his face.

“Yes Mr. Dolan. This is Alana Sm—“

“I know who she is. I looked at your chart.”

He paused for a moment. “She’ll have to do. We only have three days until the show… Alejandro hurry up, she has to be fitted before 12:30 tonight. She needs her beauty sleep.” Mr. Dolan ordered.

“Yes Mr. Dolan.”  Said Alejandro.

After Mr. Dolan had walked away, Maya and Alejandro sighed. “I hate him.” Maya said under her breath.

“Don’t we all though?” Alejandro stated.

Forty-five minutes later, my hair was done and Alejandro started working on my makeup. He put on the slightest amount of foundation, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, and lipstick on my face.

I looked at the full length mirror at my transformation. My hair was dark on top and fladed into a light blond color at the tips and my makeup was natural, but at the same time sexy. I almost looked beautiful. Not quite though.

“Now here’s the worst part,” Maya told me, “Waxing.”

It turns out that she was right. Waxing was terrible. They ripped off what seems like every hair on my body. It was painful and now I was hairless.

They changed me into 200 outfits and took about a million pictures. At first, I had a hard time in the seven inch heels, but eventually got the hang of it. Maya coached me on runway walking and soon enough, I could walk perfectly. Two hours and four-hundred-thirty-six photos later, they told me I could go home. I called Calum, who directed me to Luke since him and Cory were watching “Finding Nemo.”

I texted Luke with the directions on how to get to me and he replied saying that he would be here soon. I was in my skinny jeans and red Vans again and it felt good to have my feet on the ground. Maya had given me a pair of high heels to borrow so that I could practice walking in them. I had kind of become obsessed with my hair. The last time I had ever done anything to it, was when I was thirteen and my mother had let me get a blue streak. This was different though, it was more mature.

Soon Luke pulled up and I was in the passenger side of the car. “Let’s go home.” I told him.