Chapter 1: "Uh oh"

• Dedicated to Abigail O.

(A/N: So the idea for this fanfic is shorter chapters, but quicker updates. Hope you like this story! Enjoy!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 1:

I sat in the uncomfortable blue seat of the cramped airplane next to my five year old brother, Cory. We were flying from our “home” in Melbourne, Australia to our aunt, who lives in New Zealand for the summer. We’ve never met her.

Why? You ask? Well, that’s a long story so I’ll give you the short version: My parents died when I was fourteen and no one wanted us. So now, Cory and I hop around from family member to family member. Basically, one relative takes us in, gets tired of us, and then passes us along to whoever will take us in.

A lot of people that come around pity us and say things like, “Oh, you poor things! I’m so sorry for your loss!” or pretend to get teary eyed and say “Oh, I’m so sorry! I know what it’s like to lose someone!” then go on with this whole sob story and act like they know what we’re going through. What I’m going through.

They don’t though.

I held onto Cory’s small hand as we sat waiting for our flight to take off. “Alana,” he whined, “When are we gonna’ get there?”

I looked down into his big green eyes. He looked so much like my father...  “We haven’t even taken off yet Cor.”

“Oh…” he said.

We sat for a little longer on the plane. I looked around at my surroundings. There wasn’t much to see, although the man on my right seemed very interested with the air condition above his head.

I noticed an Australian Sheppard puppy across the aisle sitting in its owners lap. It reminded me of the dog my family and I used to have. What was his name? Oh, I remember. It was Sheep.

I know, odd name. My brother chose it. Cory was only three at the time and that was the first thing he said when he saw it. The name stuck and from then on, that's what we called him.

Sadly, we had to get rid of him after our parents passed away.

Suddenly, a perky woman’s voice boomed over the loud speaker, “Passenger Smith, Alana and Cory, please take your bags and come to the front of the plane.”

Hmm… That was weird.

I unbuckled Cory and pulled my backpack out from under the seat. I crawled over the plump man’s legs dragging Cory behind me.

I unlatched the overhead compartment and pulled out our one and only small red suitcase. Together,  all our belongings fit in this.

I pulled our suitcase behind me as Cory skipped in front of me. “What’s wrong?” I asked the flight attendant once we had gotten to the front.

“Just a flight mix up honey.” She told me whilst applying more red lipstick. As if she didn’t have enough on already.

We walked off the ramp which connected the plane and the boarding area. Cory and I both took a seat and I offered him my phone. “Here, you can play a game while we wait.”

Cory gasped then took it. He tapped a few times and then became lost in his game.

At least some of our family were smart enough to know that I need a phone and to pay the bill. I pulled out a book from my backpack and began to read.

I don’t know how long passed. Hours? Minutes, maybe? I couldn’t stand it any longer. I told Cory to stay where he was and I walked up to the podium, where one employee was standing.

“Can I help you?” says a small Asian man.

He was very short. Maybe only five feet tall, with small round glasses, and a dragon pin over his tie.

“Yes, my brother and I were supposed to be on the flight to New Zealand, but the flight attendant said there was a mix up.”

“Can I see your tickets?”

I handed them to him.

He slid them back to me and then began typing a few things in his computer. “Seems that there has been a mix up. I can put you on the next flight, but you’ll have to hurry. It takes off in twenty minutes!”

He printed us new boarding passes, I thanked him, and then Cory and I sprinted it for our gate. We made it just in time too.

The lady at the podium scanned our tickets, and then Cody and I walked into the plane. Strangely, there seemed to be no one on the plane. “Sit wherever you like.” A flight attendant told us.

“Cool!” Cory squealed. He began to run into the isle.

“Cory! No, c’mon we’ll sit right here.”

He frowned then puckered his bottom lip. 

I tossed our luggage into the overhead bin then sat down comfortably next to Cory. I gave him a bag a Cheerio’s and my laptop so he could watch his favorite movie, “The Lion King.”

I closed my eyes and tried to relax as the plane moved into action. We had a long flight and I had a feeling I wouldn’t be getting a lot of sleep these next couple of days.

The plane’s engines picked up speed and one of the flight attendants voice rang out over the loudspeaker. “Please fasten your seat belts as we ascend into the sky for Sydney, Australia.”

Wait a second… Weren’t we supposed to be going to New Zealand? My eyes flew open. Uh oh.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(A/N: Hey guys sorry this is REALLY short. Chapters will get longer and better! i hope you liked it so far. DON'T FORGET TO FAN, VOTE, AND COMMENT! CRITICISM WOULD BE AWESOME C;