Chapter 3: "Uh, there are no flowers."

5 Seconds of Summer? Of course that who they were! I had seen something in the news about them a few weeks ago.  

“So if you’re 5 Seconds of Summer, sing me a song.” I told them.

“Right now?” Michael asked.

“No, wait until we’re at your flat. I don’t want another mob of screaming girls.”

They chuckled as they grabbed their bags.

Each boy picked up a guitar case except Ashton. Calum noticed me staring and asked, “Do you play?”

“Play what?” I asked stupidly.

“Guitar. But I guess the word ‘instruments’ would be better.”

“Yeah, I play guitar… and piano.” I felt a punch in my stomach as I remembered my mother’s slim fingers gliding over the piano keys and my father strumming his guitar as we would sing. 

“Then you have to sing us a song too!” exclaimed Ashton.

“What? No—“

“If we have to sing, then so do you!” Michael retorted.

“But—“ I began

“You can do it Alana.” Cory smiled up at me.

I sighed. “Fine.”

The six of us exited the airport. I was taken aback by the beauty of Sydney, which I had forgotten. A pang of sadness hit me in the gut like a hammer. Why had I come back to the city where my parents and I once lived? Just three years ago the four of us lived happily in Sydney. I wasn’t sure if I ever wanted to come back to Sydney, but here I am now…

The boys threw their bags (along with my own) in the back of a big van then crawled inside. Cory and I did the same.

Luke, Calum, and Cory sat in the back and Ashton, Michael, and I in the second row.

Michael pulled out his phone and laughed. His phone vibrated then he replied quickly. This went on for a few more minutes. Finally, I asked Ashton, “Who is he texting?”

“His American girlfriend Camila.” He emphasized the word American.

I looked at him confused.

“Ever heard of Fifth Harmony?” he asked.

I shook my head.

“We’ll show you some video’s once we get to the flat.”

I nodded an okay.

I heard giggling behind me and looked back. I saw Luke poking Cory in the stomach. I half smiled. It’s been a long time since he’s giggled like that.