Chapter 9: From the Shadow Comes the Dawn.

Elizabeth, I know youre listening Hun. I know we havent spoken for a long time, but I need your help on this one baby. I need you. Remember those days back at school, behind the lockers, cutting class to hang out in the woods. Those days we promised each other we would always help the other. Well today is one of those days. I know we parted a long time ago, when you went and joined the other angels; all I ask is that you help and guide us baby. I know that I love Sarah but I will never stop loving you babe. And I know that you would get on with her sweetheart. God I wish you were here. I promised you on our wedding day that I would keep you safe, I broke that promise. I cant let that happen again. Elizabeth, please help me. Im so damn lost without you. I let the best thing in my life fade away, but I found something different, something that means the same as you did baby. I know you want me to be happy and do whats right, but I cant do this by myself. I need you Hun. But no matter what, I will promise you this now, I will avenge you. I will take the life of the vile creature who took you away from me. That I promise you. And if all goes wrong, I will see you soon baby. Goodnight my darling. Always remember, I love you Elizabeth, until the end and after.

We stepped on to Liberty Island. I could feel that Elizabeth was with us.

“Guys, I need to say this, I love you all. If we don’t all walk out of here, I want you all to know that you mean the world to me and that you are the ones who have kept me strong all these years.” I told them. “Since I stayed with Father Harley, I found God’s way. So I know it’s a long shot, but I want to ask you if you would all join me and pray.” Louise, John and Ann all joined hands with me. “Our Lord Jesus, we pray that you protect and guide us through this path and that you protect those dearest to us. Lord, help us cleanse ourselves and those around us of their sins. Please keep us on the right path, Lord. Amen”

“Well, Boss, what’s the plan?” John asked me.

“I’ll be honest, I don’t know. I don’t know if Jane’s done anything to Sarah, or if she’s even alive. But if I distract Jane, can you three get Sarah out of here and head back to Gaitsborough. Louise, if you have to, can I ask you to be my back up. Obviously, you created Jane. You’d know how to fight her better than I would.” I said.

“Paul, you know that I would help you in any way I can. Of course I will.” I was glad to have Louise by my side; she was always a great friend. So were John and Ann.

“Paul, you’re an amazing guy and a brilliant leader. We are always behind you. We were back home, and we are now. You and Elizabeth were like parents to me and John, this is the least we could do for you. This is the least we owe to both you and Elizabeth.” Ann shocked me with this as she wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me.

“Thanks guys. I really do appreciate this, more than you could imagine.” I hugged them all. “Well looks like we’ve got some work to do. See you on the other side.”

We were the only ones on Liberty Island. The sun was just breaking the horizon. The pack, Louise and I ran to the base of the Statue. I could smell Jane, but I had another scent in my nostrils, a newborn. I started to panic. Sarah. But I had to be strong. I had to do this.

We broke through the door and ran up the steps of the Statue. We could smell Jane from here. It took us long enough but we finally made it to the top. All that separated us from Jane and Sarah was a steal door. Something that any of us could break through.

I broke down the door and John and Ann spread through the room, there was nobody there.

“Jane! Get the fuck out here!” I shouted.