Chapter 8: Alone In The Dark.

Paul. Paul. Where was he?

Where was I?

I’d just woken up. But I wasn’t in the Motel.

No, I was somewhere different. Somewhere dark. I couldn’t tell if it was day or night. All I knew was I wasn’t alone.

What I’d do to be with Paul now. Where was he? God, I was so scared.

I was in a room that much I knew. But I couldn’t see anything. Just pure darkness.

Then she came in. The woman who brought me here. As the door opened, a bright beam of light hit my eyes and it burned, then the door closed again. She stepped over to me.

“You stole my man. Paul belongs to me. You don’t deserve him.” She growled in my ear.

“What? Who are you?” Then it hit me. This was Jane. The vampire that Paul wanted to kill. The vampire that killed his wife Elizabeth.

“What’s wrong, Sarah? Didn’t Paul tell you about me? Well, let me fill you in. I’m Jane. Whether Paul mentioned it or not, I’m the one who killed the last bitch that stole him away from me. And you’re going to end the same way.”

My eyes started to adjust to the dark now. I could see the outline of the doorway. If I could just make it to the door. But how?

Then I remembered the little bit of self-defense Paul had taught me over the time we’d spent together. Right-hook. The rib shots. The nose breaker and the kick to the knee so it breaks. Of course I knew this wouldn’t buy me much time against a vampire, but it was worth a shot.

I made a run for the door.

She was there. I knew it wouldn’t work, but I used everything I knew. I couldn’t hold back, because I knew she wouldn’t either. I threw that big right-hook. I missed. She grabbed my arm and launched me into the wall opposite.

“You stupid bitch!” She growled in my ear. Jane was too fast and too strong. I wasn’t leaving here. Not alive at least.

I couldn’t tell how much time had passed. There were no windows and only one door. I didn’t even bother trying to run again. If I was going to die, then so be it. I just didn’t want Paul to get here before I died, I couldn’t live with myself if he got hurt. I might not have told him often enough, but he really was everything to me.

All I could do was hope to God that Paul would be ok by the end of this. Of course he will, he doesn’t need me. How could something that amazing be stuck with this pathetic human? I didn’t deserve him, we both knew it. But I couldn’t help it. I loved him, and I hoped he felt the same. I kept thinking about the first time I laid eyes on him. He was gorgeous. I knew I wanted him in my life from then on. I couldn’t not be with him.

Nobody had ever treated me as well as him. He was everything to me. All I could say was, I was in love with him. But it had taken being kidnapped by a jealous vampire who would probably be better for him, to make me realize.

I didn’t sleep often, well not that I remember. Jane brought me food, but I didn’t eat. It felt like years since I’d seen Paul.  If I was going to die, I didn’t care, Paul was everything I could think of, all that kept me going. I had to hope I would see him again.

I couldn’t tell how much time went past, I couldn’t tell when one day ended and another began. I was locked away where nobody could find me. The only contact I had with the outside world was through Jane, when she decided to show up. I heard her talking over the phone to the people that organized all of this. The names Lucifer, Trey and Lucretia were mentioned a lot. That much I did know. Who were they? I’d heard the name Trey before, Paul had talked about him before; he was like a brother to him. He was a part of the pack, but he had bolted when Elizabeth has died, how did he know Jane now? And what did this Lucifer have to do with all of this? Was Jane working for him? I couldn’t help but wonder.