Chapter 2: Pack Life.

I ran Elizabeth home, with Angel and John either side of me. Angel was the smallest out of all three of us, but she was the most agile, hands down. Her pitch black fur blended well with the night. If it wasn’t for her eyes, I wouldn’t have known she was there. She was the closest to the size of a wolf than me and John. Being Alpha was pretty cool, the pack thought as one. It was strange at first, but the longer I was Alpha, the more natural it felt.

“Ok babe, here we are. I can’t stay tonight, I need to go see my Dad, and he probably still thinks I’m dead.” I told her when I stopped at the edge of the forest.

“Alright baby. I’ll see you later?” She asked.

“I’ll be around, I’ll howl when I’m outside.” I told her as she climbed down. I shifted my form so I could talk to her properly. “I’ll come by tonight. Leave your window open so I can get in.” I whispered as I lifted her in my arms so I could kiss her lips.

“Ok. Don’t wait too long to come back to me.” She smiled. She ran her fingers down my chest. “I mean that.” She said as she walked up to the house.

When she was inside, I walked back into the trees. I let the fire spread. It had felt stronger now that I was leading the Pack.

“So where to, Paul?” Angel asked me as we walked through the forest.

“Back to my Dad’s. I need to make sure he’s ok.” I told her. We began to run. It was a familiar track; it had been worn into the ground itself. We were there in minutes.

“Alright. Wait for me here, I’ll come out of my window.” I told them at the edge of the trees. I turned back to my human form and made my way to my house. It felt strange coming back here again. I knocked on the door. When he answered, my Dad nearly fainted.

“Jesus H. Christ, Paul, is that you?” He shouted.

“Yeah Dad, it’s me. Listen, I can’t stay long, I’m only dropping by to let you know I’m ok.” I told him.

“What? You can’t leave. Where did you go? Why did you go?” He asked.

“I just had to get away. I just had to straighten things out. I can’t stay Dad, I just need to get some stuff, and then I’m out. I’m sorry.” I said as I walked past him. This was going to be harder than I thought. I went into my bedroom and got a few pair of jeans and threw them into a backpack and left. When I tried to leave, my Dad tried to stop me.

“I won’t let you leave. Not again.” He told me as he blocked the door.

“Dad, just get out of my way. I can’t stay here.” I said.

“No. You’re not going anywhere.” He said out of desperation.

“Move or I’ll move you.” I told him, I just hoped he would move. I didn’t want to leave like this, but I had to.

“If that’s how it has to be, then so be it.” He said, tears growing in his eyes.

“I’m sorry.” I told him fighting back tears of my own. I grabbed him by his shirt and lifted him from the door. I didn’t let myself look back at him. If I had, I wouldn’t have been able to leave. I wasn’t sure if I still could but I had to push myself to it. I knew I would hurt him, but it had to be done. I knew I wouldn’t be going back; I had to make sure he did too.

“I’ll be watching out for you Dad.” I whispered as I walked back out the door. I walked back to the forest with my back pack. I met John and Angel near the edge of the trees; I threw my bag to John while I shifted.

“Hey Boss, where to now?” John asked me.

“Back to Elizabeth’s place, that’s where I’m staying now. You guys can head home; you don’t have to stay if you don’t want to.” I said.