Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

SNAPE'S POV

'Sarah Riddle is a teenager,' Dumbledore said, talking to us all, 'a girl that should be worrying about love, school even, not being accepted by those who've offered her shelter.'

'It would have helped if we actually knew who she was before she rocked up.' Mad-Eye muttered, staring into his mug of mead. Dumbledore nodded and took a seat.

'We can only imagine what she's been through,' he continued, 'Voldemort, I imagine, has put her through an awful lot.'

'But Professor, Sarah said herself that she'd always been content around Voldemort. She said he cared for her like no one else.' Harry spoke up. Dumbledore nodded and took a sip of firewhisky. He closed his eyes, letting the drink calm his nerves.

'Did you, by chance, notice the vampire bite on her wrist, Harry?'

Harry shook his head.

'I did,' Melanie said from beside me, 'I think To-Voldemort did that to her.'

'Trust me Melanie,' Potter said, 'Voldemort's no vampire. He's just evil.'

'I know that.' Melanie's face was certain. She couldn't hold the secret any longer. I saw Dumbledore nod at her and she stood.

'I know many of you don't know me, or have no inclination to. I take it you think I've Severus's friend- nothing more. Before I go any further, I need your word that none- not ONE WORD- of this goes to Sarah. Understood?'

SARAH'S POV

Silent sobs racked my body as I read Draco's letter for the fifth time, wishing he hadn't written it. I ran a finger over his name, wishing...

No.

Why was I putting myself through this? Draco wasn't dead, not in the slightest. As long as I didn't invite him here there wouldn't be a problem.

Drying away tears with the sleeve of my green and black Slytherin cloak, I stood up and grabbed a piece of crimson parchment and begun to write.

"Dear Draco," I begun, "I miss you too. Forgive my father- he is not yet accustomed to losing. We need to talk. Come to London tomorrow- if your mother asks why, tell her it was my father's request. My love, Sarah."

I signed my name elegantly, then added "I'm sorry" beneath and folded it.

Hearing footsteps, I quickly tied it to the Malfoy's owl and pushed it out the window. It free-fell for a few seconds, before rising into the brisk night sky.

'Sarah?' Dumbledore called from outside, 'are you better now?'

I stowed the parchment and quill away, and went to open the door.

Moody stood behind Dumbledore, gaze fixed on Crade, who rose in front of me protectively.

'Perfect.'

Moot stepped in front of Dumbledore and held out a withered hand.

I raised an eyebrow skeptically.

'Don't worry about it,' I said, not taking his hand, 'I'm used to pricks like you.'

I went to step past him but Dumbledore blocked my way.

'You are being given a second chance Sarah,' he said, 'I urge you to take it.'

I looked to Moody again, at his outstretched hand.

'No more threats?' I asked.

'No,' Moody answered, dropping his hand, 'are you going to be on our side? Spies never live long- just a warning.'

I nodded, holding out my own hand. He took it gruffly and shook it before pulling away and leaving.

Dumbledore remained.

'Anything else sir?' I asked, trying to show him some respect.

'No,' Dumbledore answered warmly, 'and, out of school, I am a friend, Sarah- no need to call me sir.'

He moved, holding open the door. I thanked him quietly and moved past, leading him into the dining room.

SNAPE'S POV

'B,but...' Hermione stuttered, 'she's your... Your daughter? That would mean... Oh God no!'

I looked to Melanie. She smiled sadly, nodding.

'Don't judge me for what I did in the past,' she said coolly, 'People change.'

'Not really,' Mad-Eye said, coming down the stairs, 'the wicked usually die wicked. I made up with Sarah, we're all friendly now.'

I watched with dread as Melanie narrowed her eyes, a trait of hers Sarah had inherited.

'Don't you dare insult her,' Melanie whispered. Sensing yet another conflict, I stood up, right between the two.

'Sarah will be down soon,' Mad-Eye said, 'unless you want to break the news to your daughter, I suggest you sit, Melanie.'

Melanie glared and reluctantly took her seat. I waited until Mad-Eye had taken his seat before taking my own.

Footsteps.

The first pair walked with lithe, cat-like grace and we all stopped. The all-too-familiar tread of Dumbledore followed and we waited patiently until Sarah's face became visible.

***

Sarah's eyebrows were raised as she took us all in. Staring at her as we were, I supposed it was strange to her. But then again, she was used to attention.

Dumbledore made his way down straight after, smiling. He opened his arms graciously and announced, 'Let us begin!'

HARRY'S POV

Even as the food piled onto my plate, I couldn't tear my eyes from Sarah. Her and Melanie were remarkably similar, the way they held themselves -albeit Sarah with more arrogance- to the way they spoke with such mystery. Both somewhat pale, with dark features. Time and love had warmed Melanie's eyes however, while Sarah's remained coal black and as hard as steel. I looked at Melanie again. She was Sarah's mother, how had I not realized that before?

I looked down at my plate quickly, avoiding Sarah's eye as she scanned the table. A small wicked smile was on my face, a grin that came with knowing something she didn't. Horrible I know.

***

The meal passed with minimal fuss, the adults draining several bottles of wine and firewhisky. Only Melanie and Snape remained completely sober, observing the night with indifference.

Just before it was time to clean up, Sarah stood up.

'I have something to say!' she yelled over the drunken bubble of merriment.

The chatter stopped immediately. Melanie looked almost about to faint.

'Yes?' Mad-Eye asked.

'I'm going to London tomorrow,' she announced, 'who's willing to let me borrow their broom for the day?'

I stared at her for a moment, thoughts into overdrive.

Suddenly I stood.

'You can take mine,' I said.

Quietly, as the drunken happiness broke it's way through, Sarah looked to me and smiled.

'Thanks.'

I spent the rest of the night thinking about how perfect her real smile was.