Chapter 2: X-Men

My eyes flutter open and I find myself in a silver room on a silver table staring up at a redheaded woman who is checking a machine.

"Wo bin Ich," I ask weakly and notice something familiar about her.

"I don't speak German, but I know someone who does, so let me take you to him," she replies beckoning for me to follow her, but this is the same woman who was in the lab room.

"Ich weiß es nicht... sprichst du englisch?" The same language as the lab coats, not a language or a people I trust. Cautiously, I slide of the bed and take a single step towards her.

"You don't have to be afraid, come a little faster though, because we have to find him." Him, which him? Hopefully not the one with the knives or the tall one who was with this woman.

"Logan and Scott won't hurt you, they were just worried about... things." I don't know what she's saying, but it gives me a little comfort, so I go to follow her out of the sliding door and into an intricately decorated hallway. The carpet feels nice against my bare feet, and I slide my fingers across the dark trim lining the wall until it turns into a room and then I pick it up again when we pass that room. Several times we pass different cabinets and dressers with ceramic plates and lace doilies.

"Here he is." We enter a kitchen with the same silver theme as the room I woke up in, except for the blue man hanging from the chandelier and digging through the refrigerator. The woman clears her throat, scaring the blue man into falling on the floor and spilling whatever was in his hand.

"Jean, was ist los..." He stops when he sees me standing there, and gets up from the mess he made on the floor.

"Hallo, Mädchen, um wie geht's... uh wie heißt du?" He continues to go on asking me these questions.

"Ich bin... Uh." Is all I say back.

"Ah, entschuldige bitte, Fraulein, aber was ist deine namen?" I know my name, but I don't know if I should tell these people.

"Uh... Ich weiß es nicht." He nods and looks me in eye.

"Ich heiße Kurt Wagner, du bist meine halb Schwester." Was, I thought I was just some science experiment.

"Ok... ich heiße Maxine." He raises an eyebrow and I turn my head down.

"Don't look down, you've done nothing wrong, you've only been cautious." A voice from behind me says and I'm surprised when I can understand him.

"Who are you?" I ask in the same language, and in surprise cover my mouth.

"My name is Charles Xavier, and I have made it possible for you to speak and understand English." The language I don't know; that I don't trust.

"You can trust us, Maxine." His voice enters my mind and I calm down a little.

"So, why did you take me from the lab?" The bald man looks at Kurt and then back at me, like he had been preparing for this conversation.

"We saved you from the cruel hands of Dr. William Stryker, a horrible man with ill intentions for you and the rest of mutant kind." I do remember that name, sometimes the lab coats would say it, Stryker.

"Oh, am I a mutant, or just a science experiment?" My words almost hurt my own ears as they leave my mouth.

"Well, you are definitely a mutant, we aren't exactly sure if he ever got around to experimenting on you though, with your skill set so close to your brother's only time will tell if you have any other abilities." He nods at Kurt, and my... brother takes me out of the kitchen.

"So, first we're going to danger room to run a series of tests to see how well you can control your powers and maybe see if you should be on the team." What team is he talking about?

"What's a danger room?" His expression contorts as if he's not sure how to explain it.

"It's sort of a training room that uses hard light images to create different situations that may come up in battle." Training, battle. I guess I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

We continue walking down the hall in silence after I nod in understanding towards his explanation. The elevator that, apparently, leads to the danger room is silver again, and plays soft muzak.

"Oh, I like this song, do you know Foo Fighters?" The name doesn't sound familiar, but the music is rather interesting.

"No." It doesn't have any words and the silence becomes a little uncomfortable as we head down. We finally reach the bottom though and go through a long, empty hallway. At the end of the hallway a double door slides open to reveal an observation deck looking over a large, silver room. On one side of the deck a woman with white hair, but a young disposition, sits looking over a manila folder with papers scattered inside it.

"Ah, hello Maxine, are you ready to start?" Her accent is light, but obviously not American.

"Ja, uh, what will I be doing?" There's a desk in the silver room now, with paper on it. She sets the file down into an open drawer in the desk area and the faint click of a lock follows as she shuts it. Her hand reaches down to a different drawer and punches a code into a keypad that is almost invisible. Inside is a bracelet with a black X on a red circle.

"First, this bracelet will monitor your heartrate and other vitals, and if you do well in the test it will serve as a... last resort of sorts." That doesn't actually answer my question.

"Danger will explain the first part of the trials when you go in."