Chapter 22- A Month and A Letter

*A Month Later*

The twins are 4 months old now, the girls are out of school for the summer and the dog got the neighbors dog pregnant. Josh is going away for 2 months on a work trip. Building 3 houses in 2 months for families who were victims of a huge forest fire that led to the residential area. I was against it at first, call me selfish. But soon I realized that it'll bring him and his company more money which will help us all in the long run and it's giving back to people who need it. It'll be hard without him but we'll be okay. It's not like being alone is anything new for me. I'm bringing him to the airport so April is coming over to watch the kids. She's my new friend. I met her at some photography classes I'm taking. I want to get into photography so I can not only take good pictures of the kids but to start up a little side business. I haven't yet gone back to work and I can do it from home. April's a single mom and has 2 kids. She's taking classes to try and earn some extra money for them. We're pretty much the exact same. I'm in the kitchen making a coffee for Josh when he comes down over the stairs, bags in his hand. 

"Have everything?" I ask, laying the mug in front of him on the counter.

"I think so. I hope so." He chuckles nervously. I know he's nervous leaving us here alone but we'll really be okay. He's gonna face time us whenever he can and I think he might come home for a 1 week visit half way through his trip.

"Make it there safe. And make it home safe." I smile, hugging him. He hugs back and kisses me quickly before grabbing his bags. As he leaves the house I notice him look back at me on the porch and I can see something in his eyes but I can't place my finger on what it is. He waves quickly before backing out of the driveway. As I begin to clean up from breakfast I realize that I'm here all alone for the next 2 months. Alone in my bed, alone in the house.  What a long two months this will be.

* * * *
The whole day was spent feeding, changing and rocking the babies and watching the girls play outside. It was nice enough for them to spend the whole day out there. We recently bought a swing set with a slide for them to play on and they have a little trampoline. I brought their picnic table out from their play room and placed it on the patio so they could have a picnic out there. Right now their watching a movie in the living room and I'm heading upstairs to put on some pj's. I know just what I'm putting on too. I go over to Josh's dresser and go to take a hoodie out of his drawer but I'm shocked at what I see. Right away I dial April's number and she's here within 10 minutes. She comes on up and she examines the dresser, checking every drawer and even the closet. She comes out with a piece of paper in her hands.

"He took everything." She says, sitting on the bed next to me. A tear slips out of my eye and I place my head in my hands, taking the paper from her. Everything was so good. We went on a date night every week and we spent time together all the time. I didn't even realize there was a problem. Clearly if I didn't realize it then the problem was only on his end. I lift my head up and look at April. Realization hitting me. Josh is gone. On his 2 month trip that I thought he was coming back from but clearly he had other plans.

Meghan,

I'm sorry to just leave like this but I didn't want to hurt you in person and you know I hate goodbyes. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I got an offer in Canada and I knew asking you to move there with me wasn't an option. Brad, the kids, your life is here. Waking up every morning to see you in the kitchen making me coffee is something I'll always remember. The girls, Briella, Kyson, I'll remember them too. The dog, take good care of him. He's been with me since the end of college and now he's in your hands. I know this next part is going to sound harsh but it's the truth and I need you to know it. I love you. But not your kids. It's hard to love something that isn't your own. You were mine and I loved you. I tried to love the kids but I just couldn't. Seeing one of my best friends pregnant with his wife on their first child made me realize I need someone who can give me the excitement of baby number one. Not baby number 5.

I'm forever sorry.
Josh.