Chapter 9- Chemo And A Meeting

-Meghan's stomach-

Today is Kacey's last day of chemo. It's quite the big excitement. Chris, Natasha, my mom and Josh are coming with us. It's been about a week since I talked to Brad or Macy. I texted him and told him that he's welcome to come to the hospital, whether he takes the off or not is up to him. I'm not going to force him to be a part of our family when it's clear he doesn't want to be. I'm in bed lazing around on my phone when Jill comes in the room. Before she can speak the phone starts to ring next to me. I grab it and step out of bed, walking downstairs, Jill coming behind me complaining of a bad stomach.     

"Hello?"

"Hi, Meghan it's Kate. I need you come into the office this morning. Brad and Julia have agreed to meet with us. This is the only day in a while we'll get this chance."

I think about it for a moment, wondering if today is really the right day for a meeting with my lawyer.

"Okay I'll be there. What time?" I ask, putting a slice of toast in the toaster for Jill.

"11."

I look at the clock. It's 9:00. I hang up the phone after saying goodbye and begin to get ready. Of course Jill is throwing up and I threw up too. Mine is morning sickness. Hers is just sickness. Kacey is still asleep though. Getting all the rest she can before her big day today. 

* * * *

Josh is watching the girls for me while I go to the meeting. He has no work today so of course he said yes. Mom isn't awake yet and Natasha is at work. Work. I miss working. I walk into the lawyers office and go to her office. I see Kate and a man but no one else. I walk in and sit down, saying nothing. Their late. Who shows up late to their own meeting? After 10 minutes Brad and Macy finally walk through the door.

"Sorry were late." Brad says, sitting down.

"I had an appointment." Macy smiles.

"An appointment? I had Jill throwing up all morning, I was throwing up and Kacey has her last chemo treatment today. But you had an appointment and your late? Makes sense." I roll my eyes. Let's get this started.

The meeting is over at 12:30 which is too long being around the 2 of them. Macy has way too much opinion on a situation that doesn't even involve her. I have Josh meeting me at the hospital with the girls. I don't have time to drive from the city and then go home and drive to the city again. I get to the hospital and run inside. I get up to the 3rd floor and see Kacey just sitting into the treatment chair.

"Just in time." The doctor smiles at me. I smile back at her. Her doctor has been so nice throughout all this. She's had the same one throughout all of this and I have to say that she's my new favorite doctor.

Frozen is playing on the tv today leaving the girls content. I pull Natasha to the side and tell her about the restaurant last night and how their expecting a baby. She was shocked of course and asked me if I was okay. How could I be okay about this? I turn around when I hear the door behind me open. Brad and Macy are stood in the doorway. I walk up to them and greet them, trying to put on a brave face in front of the girls. Brad goes over to Kacey, leaving me alone with Macy.

"Your such a strong woman." She says, touching the side of my arm. We turn to the girls and look at them interact with Brad.

"Thank you." I smile faintly.

"You know I never meant for things to be like this." She says, placing a hand gently on her stomach. 

"Sure you did." I say, walking away from her.

* * * *

We get home from the hospital and Kacey goes upstairs to bed right away. She has to rest. Jill goes out back to play on the swingset while I start making supper. My lawyer called me earlier and said that since the divorce isn't messy then the papers could be sent out in a month. I don't know wether to be excited or not excited for that. I guess I should be a little happy since it's what I wanted but I'm also not happy because I wish it isn't what I wanted. But as the saying goes, everything happens for a reason.

---------------------------------------------------------

(Two Months Later)

Kacey is cancer free, I'm 4 months pregnant and life is going good. The papers came last month for me the divorce and I've signed them and Brad has signed them meaning we are officially separated. It was a sad day the day I signed the papers and Natasha stayed with me the whole day. Josh and I are dating now. We haven't told the girls yet since it's still fresh in their minds that me and their father aren't together anymore. We go on a date night every Thursday to keep the romance alive. I attend the council meetings regularly every week again. Chris visits us every week too. The girls love seeing him. He brings them to the park, hangs out in the back yard and sometimes watches a movie with them. Although sometimes he gets called away to work meetings and misses a visit or two. We don't see much of Brad anymore. I mean he gets the girls every 2 weeks for 3 days but other than that he doesn't call them or anything. His wedding is next weekend and the girls are the flower girls along with Macy's daughter. We found out about the wedding from Josh who said Macy told him to tell us about it. I did cry a little when I found out but I was also so angry for how things turned out. I don't know how I feel about it now. Josh is going of course. It's his family. But I don't know if I'm going yet. A decision I'm still in the process of making.

Josh stayed over last night, in the spare room since I didn't want the girls walking into my room and seeing me in bed with him. Even though I'm pregnant it doesn't mean we can't have fun together, that's what he tells me. I roll over and slip my slippers on. I go downstairs and begin to make breakfast for everyone. I know the girls are gonna be hungry when they wake up. They always are. I put on bacon and pancakes. Their favorite Friday morning meal. Today is the day Brad gets them for 3 days. I'll get them back Monday after school. I have nothing planned for this weekend I don't think. I don't want to do anything really.

 I'm laying the plates on the table when the girls come skipping down the stairs, their hair a mess and their eyes almost not even open yet. I'ts 7 in the morning so the sun is just starting to come up and it looks beautiful outside in the backyard.

"Mommy." Jill says, looking at me in the kitchen.

"Yes?" I ask, taking up more pancakes.

"Is Josh gonna wake up?" She asks.

"Already am." He says, popping up behind her making her jump.

"Not funny." Kacey says, a smile on her face.

I can't help but look at the smile on all their faces. Seeing my kids happy is what I strive for.