Chapter 15: What is time anyways?

I have lost all sense of time. All I know is that I am thirteen and Hector is five. We live in the house that we always have and my dad has been remarried to a woman named Zoey. My mom died before my thirteenth birthday and I am disabled, but I am getting better. I have no idea if it has been nine months or nine seconds since I first lost my mom and became disabled. So that leads me to my question of the day; what is time anyways?

I have looked it up and found that time is a measure in which events can be ordered from the past through the present into the future, and also the measure of durations of events and the intervals between them. Time is often referred to as the fourth dimension, along with the three spatial dimensions but it is not the answer I am looking for. I did not find anything else that could answer my question. From what I read, time is an illusion and is just there as our way of explaining how things change.

I think that when scientists need an example of change they could just use my life. I went from a happy twelve year old with her whole family and a great dance teacher to a broken thirteen year old that lost her mother and her greatest passion. To add to the list of drastic changes, I am going back to normal. Well as normal as things can get. My mom is not coming back anytime soon. Unless she is a ghost and haunts the house because we don't show that she even existed. Who am I kidding! Ghosts aren't real! Some people believe in them but I do not. (A/n- I do believe in ghosts honestly, just for the story I decided that she won't.) They are just our imagination or a trick of the eye.

With all this talk of time I forgot what I really wanted to say. Today is my mom's first whole year of being dead and my first whole year of being disabled. My dad allowed me to skip school. Zoey brought me to the graveyard because my dad couldn't stand the sight of her grave. I brought her a bundle of lilies. They were her favorite type of flower, according do my father. She also loved brownies so I made a batch to put on her grave. Hector made a card for me to put by her grave. It said that we miss her and we want her to come home. Being the little five year old he is, he doesn't understand that she is dead. He thinks that she is just out of town on a business trip for a little while. At least, that's what my dad told him. I am going to tell him what actually happened when he is older.

I started to cry. Why would the world hate me so much that it destroys two of the things that I love the most. Well, actually the world doesn't hate me. It just has a weird way of showing that it likes me.

"Kaley, time to go!" I hear Zoe say behind me. "We have to stop by the mall before we go home." she says walking up behind me. Oh, I forgot to mention that it is almost Christmas. It is funny that my mom died after Thanksgiving. She always gives thanks and appreciates things for what they are during Thanksgiving and now she is gone. I guess the world didn't accept the thanks and made her and her family pay.

"We are here!" said Zoe bringing me back to the present and away from my thoughts. "I am going to a few stores. You can look around. Here is fifty dollars for gifts if you find anything. Meet me back here in an hour and a half. Okay?" she said handing me five, ten dollar bills.

"Okay." I mumbled. She headed off towards Payless so I went to Dillards. I have been looking for a present for my brother. I have no idea what to get him. He has a lot of stuff and is kind of spoiled. I was going to get him a bike but my dad already got him one. As I explored, I came across the perfect gift. He is obsessed with cowboys so my dad and step-mom got him a cowboy costume. It came with pants, a shirt, a hat, and some gloves but it did not come with boots. I personally think the best part of being a cowboy is that you get to wear boots all the time. I saw the perfect pair of boots. They were brown and made of leather. They had little designs carved on the sides and were not that expensive. I look at my phone to see that forty-five minutes have already passed. I grabbed the boots and rushed to the checkout line. I still had to get Zoe's present.

By the time I had payed for the boots, I only had half a hour left. I raced through the store, obviously not being able to go very fast, set on getting to Claire's before I am supposed to meet Zoe back at the car. I know what your thinking. Isn't she a bit old to shop at Claire's? Yes, she is, but I saw this really cool headband there the other day that is perfect for her. It is an off-white lace headband that is about an inch wide. She loves all things lace. Well, she hasn't said anything about loving lace but it is quite obvious. I once snuck into her closet and saw a load of lace things. She had a few lace dresses, some jean shorts with a lace trim, and a few lace shirts. I grab it and head to the register. Luckily no one is in line and I am able to get out of there fast. I look at my phone and see that I have five minutes until I am supposed to meet Zoe at the car.

Suddenly my phone buzzes. Hey, can we meet at the food court for some lunch instead? The message from Zoe says. Sure I reply back and head towards the food court. Luckily it is not that far away.

A/n- Okay I did it so stop yelling everyone. *everyone stops yelling* Good! So I decided to make this chapter longer. I have to admit that I sometimes forget that she is still in a wheel chair. She can stand but she can't walk. I feel like I need something to make the story more interesting. Please tell me what you think in the comments. Raise your hand if you listen to music whenever you have time. *Raises hand slowly but then sees that no one else's hand is up so she puts it back down* Okay so, ya, that question was obviously not applicable to any of us.

Gotta go!
Em! 🤗