II. Marvin Copper's Will

Side Note - Picture on top is of Sam Claflin as Ezra Copper.

______________________________________________________

Marvin Copper passed a week later on 27th April. The day was exactly how I expected it to be, but it was still bad. A warm sunny day that you'd expect on a typical summer day with the sun shining bright in the clear blue sky and birds chirping in the background. I wanted it to be dull. Dull, grey and just... gloomy. But once I stood on the podium to speak my eulogy, I realized that Marvin Copper did not deserve a dull, gloomy day. He deserved what he got because he was a good man and he should leave in a nice atmosphere.

I did cry. A lot. Silent tears were still streaming down my face even after the funeral. Ezra and Jeremiah merely stood in the background and watched the full thing like it was a soap opera. If anything, it made me angry. I wanted to slap them on the face and shove some emotions into their screwed up hearts. I wanted them to care. Their father died for God's sake! And yet, all I did was spare them a glance and walk away, leaving everything that ever had to do with the Copper family behind. The memories that spanned a year seemed like a good compensation of sorts but it doesn't compare to the man that made them. I doubt it ever will.

* * *

"Hello?" I answered my cell rather groggily since I just woke up. I looked at the digital alarm clock on my bedside table. 7am. This better be good.

"Clara, it's me, Ezra Copper." I internally groaned at the mention of his name but it didn't stop me from perking up and giving him my undivided attention.

"What do you want?"

"Can you be present at the mansion by 8?"

"Why?"

"Does it matter?" He replied with an annoyed tone.

"Yes. Since you've woken me up at 7! On a Sunday!"

"Just be here. Do you need transport?" I glared at the phone like I'd do at his face and ended the call without a reply. This damn well better be good.

I freshened up and ate some toast and bacon with coffee for breakfast. I wore a simple but breezy peach top with dark wash jeans and left my apartment by 7:37. I was going to be late and I already knew how Ezra would react. I swear, that guy is a total control freak!

I reached there at 8:03am. Three minutes, okay, not bad. But it could never be enough for Ezra. The doors were open and I walked in. I looked around but saw no one in sight until...

"You're late, Fortune Cookie." Ezra said from my right. He was in Marvin's home office. I walked his way and gave him a sarcastic smile.

"I thought you didn't do cute pet names." I remarked as I stepped in.

"For you, I'd choose the best," he said and closed the door behind me. Inside, there were two other men, one older than the other.

"Yeah, in terms of insult." I muttered under my breath and all of us met in the center of the warm room.

"Hello, miss Penn, I'm Denzel Owen and this is my son, Clive." They shook my hand one after the other and I smiled.

"Denzel used to work with my father and Clive is my lawyer." Ezra filled me in from where he was standing to my left.

"There are a few things of urgent importance that needs to be discussed, miss Penn." Clive said.

"Call me Clara."

"Plain words, Clive, she won't understand." Ezra and I said the two things in unison and I glared at him.

"Excuse me?"