Chapter 31 Bartard

Elle rushed out of the captain's office cabin. She didn't care that the captain was on her heels. She was to furious to pay attention to his words. She payed no attention to her responses.

Her thoughts were on Nathan. The guard, Bartard, had mentioned Nathan. Bile rose in my throat. He had said nothing about educating Nathan but he thought the captain had or was. It wasn't a big leap to think that even if he hadn't said it that he had thought it.

Bartard had been out of his cell only six times in the past month. Early on she had thought it was an excuse to avoid any real labor.

Nathan had never been down to the cell. Nathan spent alot of time in the gally with cook so when had Bartard seen him? At supper when he was out of the cells? It must be.

Not that it mattered. Bartard would never get the chance to educate Nathan. She found her hand gripped around the grip of her sword. She would remove his appendages one by one from his body if she had too.

A painfully strong hand snagged her shoulder. The old wound she had suffered in her fight with Miles flaired in pain. Her body was jerked to a halt. She was spun around.

She had been so absorbed in her thoughts she hadn't noticed some of the crew had joined them.

Harv, March, Crisp, Uly, and Paul were all crowded in passage on the crew deck behind the furious and confused captain.

"I am the captain of this vessel and you will tell me what is going on before you take another bloody step." He yelled. "And take your hand off your bleedin' sword."

Elle jerked her hand from the hilt of the sword. She dropped her eyes to the deck.

"Explain why you want to kill him!" The captain roared when she said nothing.

Elle couldn't voice the things she knew. Heat flooded her skin. The presence of the other crew members increased her embarrassment.

"Elle, if you don't explain right now what he has done I'll - " the said his voice vibrating with fury.

Elle couldn't help that she flinched.

"Cap'n?" Harv said drawing his attention. Talbot looked at him. Harv moved forward.

"Lass?" He said, apparently the pretense of her male gender had desolved. "Has Bartard - hurt you?" Harv looked like he wanted to vomit.

Elle shivered and recoiled at the thought it. No, he hadn't done that. But he wanted to. He want to and she would bet that he wanted to do the same to Nathan too.

"He's a bad man, Harv. He want to - to educate me." She couldn't look up and met any of their eyes.

A few of standing crew caught her meaning. None were happy about it.

Paul muttered, "Women on crew is bad luck. Said it all along." He shook his. He seemed to think this gave weight to his superstitious paranoia.

Elle looked up and glared past the captain. "He doesn't know I'm a woman. He still thinks I'm a boy, like Nathan. A child."

The comment caused absolute silence. Paul looked completely lost. He didn't understand what what she had insinuated. A small measure of Elle's anger had been shifted to the short, bald, muscled man. She wanted to humiliate him.

"Confused, Paul? Last year I would have been too." She told him with a bitter sweetness. "Turns out that some people like children in their bed. Some people think its all the rage. Just a little education. Bartard said he would be glad to educate me. But I think he has eyes on Nathan too." She let this sink in a moment. Paul had befriended the eleven year old. "Worse he thinks the Cap'n is educating us. He called me the captain's cabin boy."

She had intended to get a reaction from the man. She got one. It was much more volatile then she had expected. He shoved past Talbot, Harv, Uly and herself. He was bellowing threats of death and destruction on Bratard.

The others grabbed him before he made it five feet down the corridor.

Elle wanted to scream at them to let him go. However, it was Captain Talbot that had given the order to restrain him.

If they wouldn't allow her, undoubtedly, tempary ally kill the twisted man she would. If for no other reason than to prevent Nathan from harm at the man's hand.

She didn't care that she could die in the attempt. She would just have to take him with her.

She pushed her way passed the struggling men. Paul, who she admitted in not liking, bellowed loudly.

He demanded they release him. He demanded they think of what they would do if it were their son, daughter, nephew, sister, brother or cousin. He demanded they let him confront the man. He was agreeing to only ask the man questions if they let him go. Elle slipped past, hoping they would be forced to deal with him long enough for her to confirm her fears and kill Bratard.

She still had the key. Talbot had not taken it. It took only a few minutes to navigate through the ship to the hold where the cell was located.

Bartard looked up from the cot when she rounded a stack of crates. He grinned maliciously at her.

"The cabin boy returns," he said joyously. "Though about my offer have you?"

"Yes." She didn't hide the contempt. "You're evil." She stepped closer to the cell.

He laughed. "No. I'm honest. I want what I want and will get it any way I can." He stood slowly. "I want you. I don't even care that your too tall. I can even over look the fact you smell." He walked closer to the bars.

Elle was embarrassed that she was embarrassed by his comment that she stank. It was a ship. They worked, and they sweat. She defended herself.

"We don't all have someone to bring water for baths you know."

"Too true, my little cabin boy, too true. But I have wondered your age. I'm sure you're older than I usually prefer. But you don't have a hint of stubble so that too can be overlooked."

He leaned against a wall. One hand was shoved in his pocket. The other hung limply at his side between his body and the wall. "You should think of my offer. I could teach you alot. You wouldn't have to be stuck on a ship. You could have money. Delicious foods. Fine clothing." He smiled. This smile was much nicer. "I would even provided you a house."

"What would I have to do for this... generocity?"

He stood up strait. Elle fingered the key she had hidden in her pocket.

"Hmm. Agree to be mine for a year or two. No one else would be allowed to touch you." He walked closer.

"And you? Would you be allowed to touch others? Like Nathan?"

"He is my type. You were offended from the first. He's too young to be. He's small. Perfect brown eyes." Suddenly he grinned. "Actually, I could be enticed to share."

Elle forced the vomit back down her throat. She had almost all the answers she needed.

"When did you see him?"

"Just a few days ago." He laughed. "I was intent on you so deeply he escaped my notice."

"You've done... done this before? You... You know what you're doing?" She couldn't help stumbling over the words.

"Oh yes." He pulled at his pants waist. Both hands went in pockets. "There are places that cater to taste like mine. But I've never offered anyone what I offer you."

Elle nodded her head. She wasn't sure she understood but he seemed to expect her too.

"I have been dreaming of you since I stepped on board this ship. Do you agree I'm not evil? I can give you more then you've ever had." He pulled out a key from his pocket. "We can start your lessons right now."

Now Elle's smile was genuine. He was going to open the door himself. Somehow she thought that would make it much easier to kill him. He would least expect it then. He would trust her.

He took her smile for agreement. He smiled and moved to the doors.