Chapter 4 Black Jack of Rum and a Dress in a Box

Chapter 4

It was six months before they made English land again. Although they weren't friends, Harve and Elle no longer glared and spit at each other at every meeting. The night before they weighed anchor he caught Elle again on deck watching. He was as silent as a panther. "I been t'inkin'." he said.

To her credit, she didn't jump at his sudden appearance. "Bout what?" she asked as he moved beside her.

"Tha' sutl'rs dau'er. Maybe she net ta go see er pa."

Elle looked at him as if he had gone crazy. "Why would i-she do that?" she asked with a trace of real anger.

"That Travis fella's rich maybes HER pappy thought he was doing good fer 'is dau'er."

Elle sighed she said lookin at the moon. "You no, don't ya?"

He nodded. "Bout the time ye glared at me clutching ye blanket and watching the Cap. leave." he gave a rough laugh.

"Why didn't ya tell tha capt'n?"

"I hoped ta scare ye off but i put ya next to the capt'n case anybody guessed." he explained. He smiled a smile that seemed to say, 'Ha you see how well that worked.'

They were both silent for a few minutes.

"Would you go with me? To see pop." She didn't dare took at him as she asked.

"Have to be after your runs and I pay Sir Travis." He agreed.

Elle nodded and it was set.

Elle knew the command was coming. The "land ho" call had already been made from the crow's nest. She'd taken her turns up there twice. It was accelerating but you felt as if you would tip with each wave.

"Ahoy! Belay the sails!" the captain called. Elle pulled, walked and rolled the lines along with the others. Her muscles were well defined due to manual labor the past 7 months on ship. Her hair had grown as well. Like most of the men, it hung just above her shoulders.

The sails down the next order arose. The anchors chain rattled and water splashed. Within two hours, they were on their way to shore. On the docks, Harve and Elle made plans to meet at the Silver Pin. Despite its name, it was just an old tavern with no silver in sight.

Elle delivered the eight missives, collected the two sacks of coin and three replies.

Elle found her way to the Silver Pin and found Harve waiting with a black jack full of rum. As soon as she sat down across from him, a woman fell in her lap.

"So handsome and so young." she purred running fingers in Elle's hair. Elle grabbed her wrist.

Harve laughed. "Leave da boy 'lone Lizzy. 'E aint gots what ye be needin." he slid a copper coin across the scared table. Lizzy grabbed the coin and made her way to another patron.

Face red Elle thanked him. To Elle he looked too delighted at her bashfulness.

"So who's yer dad, El?" he asked taking a drink of rum.

"Augusta Clifford." she told him.

"Da capt'n done business wit em." he said and pulled a package from the seat beside him. He slid it across the table. "Don open it ere. Is a dress, nutin fan-zy but ye don wan yer dad ta see ye like dat." he pointed to her.

She looked down at herself. Ratty clothes. Boy clothes. Pirate.

"I gots a room at da Hogs Head. Ye kin change dere." Harve said. They made their way to the inn; he waited outside as she changed.