Chapter 43 Last Meal

Elle should be in her cabin sleeping. She had night watch. But she had layed in bed an hour and been unable to sleep.

In a desperate need to take her mind off the fact she would be stuck in the crows nest in the darkest hours of night she thought she would go beg a game of cards with Jr.

She found Trace coming through the corridor. He limped past her with barely a nod of his head. He mumbled to himself and Elle caught the name Bartard. If she had to guess she'd  say Jr probably had the same problem.

Day after tomorrow  was the day he would hang. Most of the crew had it on mind. Some like Elle preferred not to think about it but found it impossible not too.

Bartard had been given a week to make peace with his fate. Two days before he was to hang Jack Markham, the quartermaster, an ex preacher, listened to Bartard's "confessions" to absolve him of his sins. He was with Bartard for over two hours.

Elle saw him as he made his way thought the crew corridors coming from the hold.

His face was a strange white. His eyes looked haunted. His hands shook at his side. His mouth seemed pinched.

"Markham? Has something happed?" She asked as she stopped in front of him.

It took him a moment to focus his eyes on her face.

"I voted wrong." He said simply.

"I don't understand. Are you okay?" Elle took his arm. "Markham?" She asked when he didn't reply.

"I need the Captain." He mumbled.

She nodded, her concern growing. She walked with him. He hardly seemed to see where he was going. He stumbled over lines that he had navigated a thousand times in the past year.

As soon as they knocked on the Captain's door it opened and two men exited without a single glance at Elle or Markham.

They entered. Before Elle could speak Markham did.

"I will not absolve him of his sins." His voice was flat.

"You are the closest thing we have to a priest, Markham." The captain said looking directly at him.

Elle noticed he didn't spare her a single glance.

"I voted to turn him over." He said sounding pained. "If I voted now I would volunteer to hang him myself." He said.

Elle stepped back at the anger in the man's tone.

"Markham, I think you need to remember you are a member of the Church." Talbot said.

"Not for a long time Captain. Not that it matters. That man didn't confess his sins, Captain. He bragged. He's vileness in its worst form. I will not absolve him. When he hangs he can receive the punishment he gets with my blessing."

"Markham, you knew what he..."

"No. I didn't. You think what he did here was a horrible thing. It was nothing to what he had done. He told me things I'll never get out of my head. He's proud of his sick nature and he loved to see the horror on my face. He laughed. I sat for over two hours as he bragged about thing that will give nightmares. I couldn't listen to anyone. I left. He should die as painfully and slowly as possible."

Elle did not know Markham well. But he had never spoken like this before, to her knowledge. He seemed to think God blessed everyone. He believed no one was beoynd forgiveness. He believed anyone could be saved. Until now.

"What... what did he do, Markham? What... did he tell you?" Elle asked. Evil butterfly's erraticly fluttered in her stomach. Threatening to exspell the content. she swallowed the nervous saliva that gathered in her throat.

"I'll never repeat what that man told me. I wish I could forget it." he looked up at the captain his eyes haunted. "That man has no soul, captain, if he ever had one he sold it a long time ago." his voice made Elle shiver because it was clear that he believed what he said.

"Very well Markham. You may go." The captain told him and dropped a pen on the desktop. Ink dotted the edge of a piece of parchment.

With a stiff nod Markham turned and exited the room.

"I'm soory... I'll go," Elle stammered as she backed up toward the door.

"Elle, stop." Talbot told her. He stood. The chair scrapped the plank flooring. "I'm sorry." He shook his head. "I know you have no call to believe me but I assure you it's true." His hands tightened into loose fist and relaxed repeatedly as he spoke. "There is no excuse for my behavior so I make none. The truth is I've been a long time from the cultivated society. I know you're probably confused by my actions. I force my kisses upon your person then push you away." He shook his head. "My... distance is for your own good. Even if I seem to forget as much."

"That's fine, Captain. I understand." She mumbled staring at top button of his jacket. She felt to awkward to meet his eyes. "Excuse me, Sir."

He sighed and shook his head. "Go."

Elle fled.